Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pankajj
Helper III
Helper III

Web.BrowserContents Refresh Error Power BI Services

Greetings PBI Experts!

I am using the following query to extract shipping data. It works fine on the Desktop version but not on Power BI services.

Can someone please advise how to change this code to use Query or Relative Path? 

= (TrackingID as text)=>

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://www.ship24.com/tracking?p=" & TrackingID),
#"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"TrackingID", ".md\:text-2xl"}, {"Status", ".md\:w-34pc"}, {"Courier", "APP-USER-COURIER-LABEL"}, {"Origin", ".j-sh:nth-child(1)"}, {"Destination", ".j-sh:nth-child(3)"}, {"Delivered on", ".capitalize"}}, [RowSelector="USER-PARCEL-CARD"])
in
#"Extracted Table From Html"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pankajj 

Your table is based on query and it is a dynamic data source. If I add ID in code directly, it seems that we could refresh this report with gateway in Power BI. Try to use parameter to get dynamic tracking id. You can add all ids you need in parameter list, and you can change the id you get by parameter in Desktop and Service.

1.png

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://www.ship24.com/tracking?p=" & #"Tracking ID"),
#"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"TrackingID", ".md\:text-2xl"}, {"Status", ".md\:w-34pc"}, {"Courier", "APP-USER-COURIER-LABEL"}, {"Origin", ".j-sh:nth-child(1)"}, {"Destination", ".j-sh:nth-child(3)"}, {"Delivered on", ".capitalize"}}, [RowSelector="USER-PARCEL-CARD"])
in

Then download a gateway and configure the credential. Then you can schedule refresh your report.

For reference: 

What is an on-premises data gateway?

Configure scheduled refresh

1.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://www.ship24.com/tracking",[Query= [p = TrackingID]])

Web.Contents - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs

@lbendlin 

Thank you very much for your help.

Web.BrowserContents does not refresh in the Power BI Service.

I replace it with Web.Contents, it works but it shows empty table on Invoked Function.

Please try this with sample tracking id: 3407985361.

I believe the error is due to the subsequent steps:

in

Kindly check.

Thanks a ton.

Best regards,

Pankajj

@Greg_Deckler 

Can you please help.

I have tried using the M code as:

(TrackingID as text) =>

let
Source = Web.Contents(

"https://www.ship24.com/",

[ RelativePath= "tracking",

Query= [p = TrackingID]]),

Result = List.Transform(TrackingID, each TrackingID(_)),

#"Converted to Table1" = Table.FromList(Result,

{{"TrackingID", ".md\:text-2xl"}, {"Status", ".md\:w-34pc"}, {"Courier", "APP-USER-COURIER-LABEL"},
{"Origin", ".j-sh:nth-child(1)"}, {"Destination", ".j-sh:nth-child(3)"}, {"Delivered on", ".capitalize"}}, [RowSelector="USER-PARCEL-CARD"])

in

#"Converted to Table1"

but with Invoked Function, getting the following Error:

An error occurred in the ‘’ query. Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "3407985361" to type List.
Details:
Value=3407985361
Type=[Type]

Thank you in advance for your help as always.

Best regards,

Pankajj 

Hi @pankajj 

Is "3407985361" the TrackingID in your code? Do you want to get HTML table from web?

Based on my test, if you want to get the HTML table from web, you need to use Web.BroswerContents() which returns html, Web.Contents() will return a binary result.

If you nest Html.table() outside Web.Contents(), you will always get an empty table whatever your web address.

When you use the web connector to extract data, you would find that it also use Web.BroswerContents() instead of Web.Contents().

In addition, about Dynamic data source using Web.contents, you can refer: Dynamic Web.Contents() and Power BI Refresh Errors 

Here is a blog with similar issue like yours, I hope it could help you.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rzhou-msft 

Thanks so much for your help. I will try your method.

I am able to get the data using Web.BrowserContents in Power BI Desktop but not in Power BI Service.

Can you suggest, how to edit the following query to make it refreshable in Power BI Service to get the same result using Tracking ID : 3407985361

I am expecting, following result:

Tracking.png Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,

Pankajj

The service seems to be malfunctioning at the moment - I get a 500 error when querying by that ID.

@lbendlin & @v-rzhou-msft 

Please find below a link to the Power BI file. I am not getting any error with the function fxtracking.

https://we.tl/t-GPGCS9xLeQ

Hoping, you would be able to help in editing the query by using RelativePath, Query and replacing Html.Table to let it refresh automatically. without the below error.

image.png

Hi @pankajj 

Your table is based on query and it is a dynamic data source. If I add ID in code directly, it seems that we could refresh this report with gateway in Power BI. Try to use parameter to get dynamic tracking id. You can add all ids you need in parameter list, and you can change the id you get by parameter in Desktop and Service.

1.png

let
Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://www.ship24.com/tracking?p=" & #"Tracking ID"),
in

Then download a gateway and configure the credential. Then you can schedule refresh your report.

For reference: 

What is an on-premises data gateway?

Configure scheduled refresh

1.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

@Greg_Deckler  

Is there any workaround for this problem?

I kept looking for a solution but did not find anyone answering a similar Shipment Tracking webquery.

Will really appreciate your kind help on the subject.

Thanks a ton,

Pankajj 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.