Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Value from measure not filtering other visuals correctly

This has been puzzling me for a very long time! I will try my best to explain:

I have a fact table and a dimenstion table (plus many other tables that aren't included in these calcs)

I have created 2 measures

• Measure 1 counts all the rows in the fact table
  • pbiuser001_1-1648385095633.png
  • it is used to count number of rows per group (group is from a dimension table)
  • pbiuser001_4-1648385532557.png
  • Measure 2 counts all the rows in the fact table (using measure 1) but has a filter on one of the columns
  • pbiuser001_2-1648385105516.png
  • it is used to count number of rows per group (group is from a dimension table) that match the criteria "Yes"
  • pbiuser001_5-1648385652991.png

It all looks good, but when I click on the '1' in the second visual, it does not filter the first visual correctly, and I can't figure out why the measure is completely ignoring the "Yes" filter

pbiuser001_0-1648417500143.png

There is a relationship between both tables (one to many) and I have tried changing this to both directions as well.

The only way I can get this to work is by adding the criteria column from the fact table, as a filter on the visual, and selecting "Yes"

pbiuser001_1-1648417545441.png

Then when I click on the '1' it filters the top visual correctly 

pbiuser001_2-1648417586159.png

I can't use this method because I have another column (with a "Yes" "No" criteria) that I need to show in the same visual, and having a visual filter on one column affects the values on the whole visual.

Behind the scenes, it seems to be reading the data like this (where it gets the 128 number from)

pbiuser001_3-1648417600072.png

Any help would be extremely appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to explain why my measure filters don't work in a Drill Through scenario:
Solved: drillthrough is not working with measure filters - Microsoft Power BI Community

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to explain why my measure filters don't work in a Drill Through scenario:
Solved: drillthrough is not working with measure filters - Microsoft Power BI Community

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @amitchandak, how would you then go about solving this? Is my measure calculated incorrectly? Do I need a new summarised table? I'm unsure how to proceeed

Hi @Anonymous ,

The interaction between visuals cannot pass the filter in the measure.The interaction between the two visuals is due to the fields(C,H,R,S...) in the static column, not measure.The measure calculation is correct, but you have some misunderstandings about the measure attribute. Measure is calculated based on the current row context.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @V-lianl-msft. If I am understanding correctly, my measure is not able to filter my dimension field? I should also note that the field in my dimension table that is the axis for both visuals contains duplicate values. The unique distinct values in this table are is list of building codes, in the same dimension table I have another field that groups these building codes into four categories (these are the C H R S). Maybe this is also causing issues? 

Apologies for my confusion I am still fairly new to PBI.

Is there a way at all to get the results I'm trying to achieve? Some steps to follow would be very helpful. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Only the not summarized column used in visual will only pass as a filter. The filter used in the measure will not pass. hence "Yes" used as a filter in the measure is not getting passed

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.