Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ghdunn
Helper III
Helper III

Using the Power BI Rest API

Hi,

I have started experimenting with the Power BI Rest API.  I can (for example) use the 'Try It' function on this page:

Reports - Get Reports (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

..and bring back details of a report.

I have two questions:

1. if i wanted to make this call through Power BI itself, what would i use?  Would I use the OData feed?  Or Web?  How would i add the "Authorisation" Synax which is shown below.  Could anyone point me at a help resource for this?

GET https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports
Authorization: Bearer eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsIn etc etc

2. Is there any way of getting more metadata on each individual report...for example what Visualizations a report contains, and ideally what is the metadata of the visualisation?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ghdunn 

For your first question, you can refer Using REST API as a data source. A link provided by the Super User may help you. For the second question, you can refer How to get pages and visuals list via REST API.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ghdunn 

For your first question, you can refer Using REST API as a data source. A link provided by the Super User may help you. For the second question, you can refer How to get pages and visuals list via REST API.

Best Regards,

Caiyun Zheng

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-cazheng-msft 

Many thanks for the response...could you give me the weekend to review..i will look to close the question if i can get it working 🙂

Sure. Hope your problem can be solved.

Best Regards

Caiyun Zheng

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thanks @amitchandak but that is a very different route...I would prefer to do it simply all in Power BI...is there any simple way of passing the authentication string?

Also..any thoughts on the second part of my question?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.