Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bmcminn
Helper II
Helper II

Using M language, how to duplicate a column from one table in another table

I know this should be straightforward, but how do I duplicate a column from one table in another table? In the orginal table it is a whole number that comes from subtracting one date from another and then dividing by seven to get number of weeks. I tried

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Week Date", "Week to Semester", each #"5_19_23 Current Raw Data"[Week to Semester]),

but that yields a list of the original column in each cell.

bmcminn_0-1684814197184.png

I tried copy and paste too, that didn't seem to work. Thanks. Maybe @MarcelBeug has an idea. I learned how to make a reference data parameter in another question he answered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up using a very simple solution because it was all just a syntax problem. What worked to copy a value from one table and from a particular cell into every other cell of a new column in a different table:

let
  Source = stuff,
  #"Other stuff",
  #"Added Columnn w/ Copied Value" = Table.AddColumn(#"Other stuff", "Columnn w/ Copied Value", each #"That Other Table"[Target Column]{0})
in
  #"Added Week of Year 2023"

with {0} being the index value.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bmcminn
Helper II
Helper II

So I should rephrase this. I have a column in TableA with a repeating value, 20, that is calculated using some other columns. I want to copy that value and put it into a column in TableB. Becuase of the requirements of the project, this need to be done using M language so that the steps can be replicated automatically as the data refreshes and the value in TableA changes.

This morning I tried

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Application Semester", "Calendar Week Copy", each "5/19/23 Current Raw Data"[Calendar Week]{1})

and I can imagine that the error is the same as @danextian mentions above, but I don't understand how to use the filter logic.

Thank you.

I ended up using a very simple solution because it was all just a syntax problem. What worked to copy a value from one table and from a particular cell into every other cell of a new column in a different table:

let
  Source = stuff,
  #"Other stuff",
  #"Added Columnn w/ Copied Value" = Table.AddColumn(#"Other stuff", "Columnn w/ Copied Value", each #"That Other Table"[Target Column]{0})
in
  #"Added Week of Year 2023"

with {0} being the index value.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @bmcminn ,

The below script creates a list based on [Week to Semester] column from "5_19_23 Current Raw Data" table.

#"5_19_23 Current Raw Data"[Week to Semester]

You did not specify how to identify which row/s in the created list each row in the current table should pick thus you end up with the same information for  each row. You can either do a merge or use the same list but specify a filter logic similar to below

let 
lookupvalue = [column in the current table],
lookupcolumn = othertable[lookup column], 
resultcolumn = othertable[result column]
in resultcolumn{List.PositionOf(lookupcolumn,lookupvalue]}

The above code as a custom column determines the row position of the lookupvalue and picks up the value of that position from the  resultcolumn list. Position of the first row is zero.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.