Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fátima
Helper II
Helper II

Use measure as a filter

Hi!

Edit: check this reply for a clearer example and a dummy pbix file: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Use-measure-as-a-filter/m-p/3046873/highlight/true#M1036124 

I have a bar chart that shows the amount of users that have checked each answer of each question on several forms. For this, I have a table FORMS with the columns ID, ID_CENTRE and DATE, and another table FORMS_ANSWERS with the columns FORM_ID (relation *|1 with FORMS.ID), QUESTION, ANSWER and SN_MARCADA (that shows if the answer is checked).

I just want to show the answers of the latest forms of each center, what I call "the active forms".

Before, I had a calculated column on the table FORMS that had "TRUE" or "FALSE" depending of the date, and I had it on the filters section like this:

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-25 181906.jpg

But then I had to make it vary with a date filter, so I created a measure to check which were the active forms depending of the date, like this:

activeForms = var _max = maxx(filter(ALLSELECTED(FORMS), FORMS[CENTER_ID] = Max(FORMS[CENTER_ID])), FORMS[DATE])
return
CALCULATE(max(FORMS[ID]), filter((FORMS) ,  FORMS[DATE] =_max))

My question is: how can I make the bar chart show just the results for the forms that the measure returns? I have tries to place the measure on the filter section, but nothing happens.

Thanks! Regards!
3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Fátima , Not very clear. But make that measure as visual level filter

Hi @amitchandak !

I'm sorry, it's a bit tricky to explain. I attach a wetransfer with the pbix file: https://we.tl/t-xgR0AaCQFv 

I have two tables with the data I'm using for the chart:

FORMS

-----------

ID

ID_CENTRE

DATE

FORMS_ANSWERS

----------

FORM_ID - FK to FORMS.ID

QUESTION

ANSWER

IS_CHECKED

Some example data would be

FORMS

ID     ID_CENTRE    DATE

1       1                    01/01/2022

2       1                    03/01/2022

3       2                    01/01/2022

FORMS_ANSWERS

FORM_ID      QUESTION                      ANSWER      IS_CHECKED

1                   What do you do?            Work            TRUE

1                   What do you do?            Study           FALSE

1                   Are you happy?               Yes               TRUE

1                   Are you happy?               No               FALSE

2                   What do you do?            Work            TRUE

2                   What do you do?            Study           FALSE

2                   Are you happy?               Yes               FALSE

2                   Are you happy?               No               TRUE

3                   What do you do?            Work            FALSE

3                   What do you do?            Study           TRUE

3                   Are you happy?               Yes               TRUE

3                   Are you happy?               No               FALSE

Before, I had a calculated column on the table FORMS, called "isActive", that marked the last form of echa centre, so:

FORMS

ID     ID_CENTRE    DATE               isActive

1       1                    01/01/2022    FALSE

2       1                    03/01/2022    TRUE

3       2                    01/01/2022    TRUE

and I had that column as a visual filter as you can see in the blue graph of the image below:

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-27 101721.jpg

But that made that when I filter the date and set it to "02/01/2022", it only shows the count of the answers of the form with ID=3, since it is the only one active. So I changed it to a measure that returns the IDs of the active forms depending on the filtered date. But I don't know how to add this measure as a visual filter, since I am trying to add it but I am not getting the expected results, you can see it on the purple chart:

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-27 102541.jpg

I can't figure out how to make that measure a visual filter so that it shows the expected results. Or maybe the measure is not correct, could you guide me a bit on the right direction, please?

Thank you for the effort! Regards!

I have tried a couple of additional things:

• Set the visual filter "NEW_isActive" to "if it is not blank". It works if I have the data on a table, but not in the bar chart.
  • I have created another measure that returns true or false depending on the other measure
    isActiveBoolean = if(not(isblank(FORMS[NEW_isActive])),TRUE,FALSE)
    , but it does not expand on the visual filters panel, so I cannot mark it to be true.

Captura de pantalla 2023-01-27 113126.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.