Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Update Power BI from an app

Dear I have a query that I can not solve and it is the following:

I have reports published in PowerBi these are associated with a SQL server Database and connected to a GateWay, which I have scheduled to be updated 2 times a day. The doubt arises when someone tells me, that they need to see the updated data at the time of requesting me (it happens rarely, but it happens), then I have to enter the Power BI search in my workspace, identify the application and in Dataset and data flows, update it manually. Is there a way for this option to encapsulate it in a query or a command line, so that from an application (without entering the power bi) you can invoke and update it?

Currently I do it like this

jminanoc_2-1634654784827.png

That's my doubt, thank you very much in advance for the answers

2 REPLIES 2
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

I would like to know how your data is connected, Import or DirectQuery ? SQL server supports DirectQuery mode.

vchenwuzmsft_0-1634879991410.png

It allows user to see the updated data in the report via DirectQuery even if you hadnt configure scheduled refresh. Users can refresh the data by themselves with the icon as the following image show.

vchenwuzmsft_1-1634879991414.png

If you use the Impoert mode ,the dataset can only be updated by the datasets owner.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

wave, I used the Direct Query connection with SQL, but it is very limited, that is, it did not allow me to make queries to functions, it was very slow at the time of connection, so I decided to always work in Import and with the Gateway update it automatically every 3 hours (which is the maximum allowed)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.