Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CCAd
Frequent Visitor

Unstructured time duration values in column

Hi, 

I have a data dump in csv that has a number of columns but there is one which is rather tricky. It contains values that are not in a standard format and that is creating a major obstacle in my calculations. A sample is below. Is there anyway that I can have this data converted into a uniform and structured standard?

Time to first action

9h 29min
20h 21min
48min
1h 7min
29min
12h 35min
1h 37min
14h 3min
17h 56min
1h 18min
12h 37min
1h 24min
3h 1min
18h 4min
2d 11h
2d 16h
2d 15h
44min
2h 43min
12h 12min
15h 24min
15h 37min
15h 46min
18h 12min
20h 26min
2min

Thanks,

Ad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @CCAd 

Download example PBIX file

This code in Power Query will convert this column into Durations

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VZA7EsMgDESvoqFOEQnx8VkYdy7kIrl/GdkeFqXbxz4hhjHSZiTb5/ym/TWSvJ14kvaZ2KjBgc1ilEtwMiRWJ0AzKjV43P+uaKESnZDdQ9GNUMhBzIZYVyxP1KX6WI67WEAlLrsovMNJa1y+5u4vQvcc7z8=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Time to first action" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Time to first action", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Days", each if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "d") then Text.Start([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "d")) else 0),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Hours", each if [Days] = 0 then 

if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "h") then Text.Start([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "h")) 

else 0

else Text.Select(Text.Middle([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "d")+1), {"0".."9"})),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Minutes", each if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "min") then 

if [Hours] = 0 then Text.Select( [Time to first action], {"0".."9"})  

else Text.Select(Text.Middle([Time to first action] , Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , " ")), {"0".."9"})

else 0),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom2",{{"Days", Int64.Type}, {"Hours", Int64.Type}, {"Minutes", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Duration", each #duration([Days],[Hours],[Minutes],0))
in
    #"Added Custom3"

durd.png

In my example file I've left the Days, Hours, Mins columns in place so you can see how the code works, but also in case you wanted to do something else with them.

Just delete them if you don't need them

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @CCAd 

No worries.

If you paste your code here I'll try to integrate my code into it.

If you can also supply a sample of the full data that the query is working on that will help.

regards

Phil

@PhilipTreacy 

Mate, your code worked just awesome. I was able to integrate it with the pre-existing one. But again, thank you so much!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @CCAd 

Download example PBIX file

This code in Power Query will convert this column into Durations

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("VZA7EsMgDESvoqFOEQnx8VkYdy7kIrl/GdkeFqXbxz4hhjHSZiTb5/ym/TWSvJ14kvaZ2KjBgc1ilEtwMiRWJ0AzKjV43P+uaKESnZDdQ9GNUMhBzIZYVyxP1KX6WI67WEAlLrsovMNJa1y+5u4vQvcc7z8=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Time to first action" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Time to first action", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Days", each if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "d") then Text.Start([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "d")) else 0),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Hours", each if [Days] = 0 then 

if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "h") then Text.Start([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "h")) 

else 0

else Text.Select(Text.Middle([Time to first action], Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , "d")+1), {"0".."9"})),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Minutes", each if Text.Contains([Time to first action], "min") then 

if [Hours] = 0 then Text.Select( [Time to first action], {"0".."9"})  

else Text.Select(Text.Middle([Time to first action] , Text.PositionOf([Time to first action] , " ")), {"0".."9"})

else 0),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom2",{{"Days", Int64.Type}, {"Hours", Int64.Type}, {"Minutes", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Duration", each #duration([Days],[Hours],[Minutes],0))
in
    #"Added Custom3"

durd.png

In my example file I've left the Days, Hours, Mins columns in place so you can see how the code works, but also in case you wanted to do something else with them.

Just delete them if you don't need them

Regards

Phil

Hi @PhilipTreacy 

Thank you so much for your help. I have a rather dumber question than before. I already have a bit of code(?) in the advanced editor. How should I add the one you provided? Do you want me to paste whats already there?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.