Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Stolliver
Frequent Visitor

Unpivoting columns turns all data into error

Hello Everyone,

So, I have this set of data and I replaced all values of No with null and then I went to unpivot the selected columns and it turns everything into an error. Here's what it looks like before:

Stolliver_0-1705444924144.png

And after:

Stolliver_1-1705445019439.png

Anyone have any ideas why it's doing this?

3 REPLIES 3
Stolliver
Frequent Visitor

What do you mean by add a new index column? I have one labeled ID which starts at 1 and goes to 4. I tried selecting that one in the unpivot area, but it still resulted in an error.

@Stolliver the only information that has been provided thus far in reference to your data is what you've provided in the post.  I wasn't aware from the screenshot that you provided that an Index column existed given the ComplianceAssetId says "null" across all four rows.  

TheoC_0-1705449420187.png

Can I suggest replacing the "null" values in your dataset and reattempting.

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Stolliver 

From what I can see, you are attempting to unpivot data that does not have an ID to use as a basis of unpivoting.  The Asset ID column is null.

Can you try to add a new Index column starting from 1, then try to unpivot accordingly?

Hope this helps!

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.