Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Antoni
Frequent Visitor

Underlying Data Export is not filtering based on slicer selection

We have a pbix file, with user hierarchy [built using hierarchy custom visual] which has 7 levels of hierarchy. After publishing the .pbix file to PowerBI service, filtered the data on of the hierarchy levels the chart is working fine but the data is not getting filtered as per the applied filters in the underlying data export. I'm getting the entire dataset from the table. Found that relationship should exist between filter and data tables for export to get filtered. I'm able to create only one active relationship between both the tables, so for whichever level i'm creating relationship the excel filtering is working for that level only. I have 7 levels/columns and not able to create active relationship for all 7 columns.

Please suggest any solutions for fixing the underlying data excel export filtering with / without creating relationship.

2 REPLIES 2
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't get the question fully - your hierarchy is in a single table, correct? similar to this one:

Level1 Level2 Level3
A a1 1
A a1 2
A a2 3
B b1 4
B b1 5
B b2 6
B b2 7

if that's the case then all you need to do is create a relationship on the lowest level of the hierarchym and it will work with all the levels above

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

Antoni
Frequent Visitor

We have a ragged hierarchy in the data table which contains data of both active and inactive users. Whereas in filter we need to show only the names of active users, but the calculation will include both inactive and active data since i'm passing each level user. If we build hierarchy from data table itself we are unable to hide the inactive user names since visual level filter doesnt work except for matrix/table visualization. 

DATA TABLE  FILTER TABLE
LEVEL 1  LEVEL 1
LEVEL 2  LEVEL 2
LEVEL 3  LEVEL 3
LEVEL 4  LEVEL 4
LEVEL 5  LEVEL 5
LEVEL 6  LEVEL 6
LEVEL 7  LEVEL 7
ACTIVE STATUS = TRUE/FALSE ACTIVE STATUS= TRUE

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.