Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nishantjain
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Report Builder - Unable to use my own Dax query (instead of designer view)

Hi, 

I am trying to build a report using the dataset in Power BI service. If I create the report using the designer mode, it works fine. 

Design Mode.PNG

When I try to create the same query using the "Text Mode", it gives me an error. However, the preview works fine. 

Preview in text mode works finePreview in text mode works fineError messageError message

Also, when I try to move the design mode to text mode and go back again to the design mode, it give an error.

Below is the error message 

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.ASDesigner.QueryBuilderClientControl.ChangeMode()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.ASDesigner.QueryBuilderControl.MDXDelegate.ChangeDesignMode()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.ASDesigner.QueryBuilderControl.OnMenuQueryBuilderDesignMode(MenuCommand menuCommand, CommandHandlingArgs args)
at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Design.CommandHandlingInfoMap.HandleCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.QueryDesigners.ASDesigner.QueryBuilderControl.Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.ICommandTarget.InvokeCommand(MenuCommand menuCommand)
at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.MenuServiceForModalForms.MenuServiceImpl.InvokeCommand(CommandID commandID)
at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.VsStyleToolBar.OnButtonClick(ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
at Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Controls.VsStyleToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

//truncated

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Nishantjain 

It seems an issue with report server.I would suggest you go to Report Server forum to post this thread.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Don't think it is report server as this is for the Power BI Paginated Report builder

Power BI Paginated report builder

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.