Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

khaox
Regular Visitor

Unable to use DIrectQuery in parameterized connection

I've created Azure SQL connection with parameters, it make unable to use directQuery

Doesn't work neither with UI defined connection nor with M script "= Sql.Database(PowerBI_server, PowerBI_database)"

At time of defining connection both parameters where pointing to live and accessible Azure database

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@khaox

It seems like your file is already in "Import" mode (and this is indipendent from the fact you are trying to use parameters when connecting to SQL Server). Do you have any other query loaded to the model? Have you tried creating a parametrized connection to SQL Server from a blank file?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@khaox

Where did you try to apply the parameter? When I tried to filter rows of a DirectQuery even with a constant, I got the error "This step result is not supportted in DirectQuery mode", not to mention using a parameter. So it seems so far not supported.
Capture.PNG

@Eric_Zhang, Folding additional operations on top of a custom query isn't supported in DQ mode. You can simply change your custom query to reflect the operation that you are trying to do.

@khaox Your scenario is supported. What's the error you are getting? 

khaox
Regular Visitor

There is no error message, I'm unable to use direct query mode with parameterized connection (even if it point to the same server and database as before parameterisation).

@khaox

It seems like your file is already in "Import" mode (and this is indipendent from the fact you are trying to use parameters when connecting to SQL Server). Do you have any other query loaded to the model? Have you tried creating a parametrized connection to SQL Server from a blank file?

Thanks, Did it from scratch, blank project and direct query works... probably switched by accident

I've defined 2 parameters and applied them directly in M. 

Tried this with new connection with same results

SQL_Params.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.