Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataSkills
Helper II
Helper II

Unable to remove a filter - says "This filter came from a drill action"

Hello, 

I have a strange situation on a report I inherited where several visualisations I have on a page have a CategoryName filter on the visual. I wanted to remove this filter, but moving my mouse over the filter, I get a message stating, "This filter came from a drill action like drill-down, drill-through or cross-report drill." The filter's text is italicised. I cannot remove or modify it in any way. 

DataSkills_0-1674740079189.png

I don't see any filters under the drill through section. If I add a brand new visual to the same page, it inherits this klingon filter!

If I create the identical visualisation on a clean page, it seems okay. 

I am frustrated that there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can actually REMOVE this filter for CategoryName. At the moment, my solution is to recreate everything on a new page, but I wondered if there is some way to get rid of that filter? It seems odd that there wouldn't be. 

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
khitch

I was struggling with the same issue, and found that my issue was caused by a bookmark that had been captured with a filter on.  Have you tried deleting your bookmarks?

ilhan_berberler

Hello @DataSkills ,

This happens when you right-click on the "CategoryName" field in the matrix table at the bottom of the page and say "Drill Down".

If you do not want to experience this situation and you want to see only "Clothing" data on the matrix table, you should give a "Clothing" filter to the "CategoryName" field in the filter panel.

Summary: When you "Drill Up" to drill down in the matrix table, the filter on other images will be removed.

ilhan_berberler_0-1689250405501.png

ilhan_berberler_1-1689250624344.png

Dear @ilhan_berberler 

I had the same problem but with your solution I solved it!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Enrico

PREVIEW

Padycosmos
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When to remove Category from the legend, you can see an 'x' button in the Category filter as shown below. When you click on the the 'X', you can remove it

Padycosmos_0-1677845382930.png

Hello, 

not sure if this was solved or not, but i hope someone might find this helpful .... i had a similair problem with cards, created on a certain page, that was introducing the same type of message, about "this filter came from a drill action ....". In my case i had my visual (cards) being filtered by another visual on the same page (Clustered Column Chart), that i had it drilled down... Removing the interaction between that (Clustered Column Chart), and the Card, from Format -> Edit Interactions, has removed that filter coming from a drill action ... 

Thanks, that was more or less my problem 🙂 The way I solved it was I simply created a duplicate page and removed each visualization 1 by 1 until suddenly the filter was gone and all the remaining visuzalizations showed proper data. So the last deleted visualization was at foult 🙂 I then delete the duplicate page and switched back to original where I just "refreshed" the drill down.

ncharritton
Employee
Employee

Having the same issue. A filter showed up in all my visuals for a specific page but within each "filter on this visual". There is no way to clear it or remove it. When I hover over it it says "this filter came from a drill action like drill down, drill through or cross-report drill".

The field filtered is not present in any of my visuals.
I have Cross-report drill turned off in all my pages

I have not used any Drill through filters in any of my pages

Does anyone have a clue?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DataSkills , what is the filter shown on the bottom right? you are not able to remove that

Usually, drill through filter is available visualization pane

Hello @amitchandak, that's just it! I don't see any other filters or drill throughs or anything like that. 

I have uploaded a copy of this file to Google Drive HERE.   Please use the "Download all" option at the top right to download the complete PBIX file. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.