Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BrianD
Regular Visitor

Unable to export to csv file

Hi,

We are currently unable to export a .csv file from power bi desktop. We are getting error message to state that we are unable to export as the file is to big despite in some cases there only being 300 or 400 rows. This is even the case for files we have just last week been able to export. Are others experiencing this issue today?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianD ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianD ,

The issue has been resolved now, please have a try.

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I just tried refreshing a Power BI report with a significant number of lines and still got the same error message that data too large, some data sampling may occur

It appears to be fixed on the version of Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft Store.  Successfully exported 2134 rows as CSV.   Screenshots below:

foodd_0-1695809803608.pngfoodd_1-1695809879022.png

foodd_2-1695810004188.png

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BrianD ,

Have submitted this issue internal to confirm, would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards

BrianD
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, we won't be adding dax studio. Is this a push towards power bi pro, we have never had this issue previously?

Thanks

foodd
Super User
Super User

This is a known issue.

Issue ID:  498

Title:  Export to CSV file truncated at 300 rows

Description: When you select Export data on a tabular visual's options menu and choose to export to a CSV file, the resulting downloaded file is truncated to 300 rows, rather than showing all the available rows.

Reference URL:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/troubleshoot/known-issues/known-issue-498-export-csv-file...

Additional workaround:  Use DAX Studio to export data from selected Visual to CSV or Excel.

I  tried to export with dax studio, but it trunc for 500 rows, its better but still dont enought.

Hi,

Is there a timeline for resolving this issue as we have a number of reports which have significant number of lines which we would require to be able to export to excel and currently we are unable to do so.

Thanks for flagging that this is a known issue.

I just found another workaround.

You can upload the report online and you can export the data from P.Bi online, with this method io could download all the rows.

Thanks

Yes, the Service can do this.

Hi,

Is this by publishing to powerbi.com and in particular My Workspace.

Yes,  this implies the Power BI Service and can be the My Workspace if 

that is where you choose to store the dataset and report.

Export rules have not changed.   If you need to export above the export ceiling 

designed into Power BI Desktop Designer or the Service, a traditionally accepted

and endorsed method is to use DAX Studio which is painless, and to my knowledge

99 44/100 % reliable without fussing around export limits.

Sukhraj_Ghuman
Regular Visitor

Hi,

im having the same exact problem since yesterday, i tried with the method above (DAX Studio) but i can only export the table data (not visual) in P.Bi.

I want export from visuals! 

Thanks

Using Performance analyzer you are able to capture the DAX query behind the visual.  Copy the DAX query, and use this in DAX Studio to return the data behind the visual.  This is also quite handy when writing documentation.

foodd_0-1694609233291.png

In this case, the DAX expression would be :

// DAX Query used by Table Visual to return Gross Sales column data
DEFINE
    VAR __DS0Core =
        DISTINCT ( 'financials'[Gross Sales] )
    VAR __DS0PrimaryWindowed =
        TOPN ( 501, __DS0Core, 'financials'[Gross Sales], 1 )

EVALUATE
__DS0PrimaryWindowed
ORDER BY 'financials'[Gross Sales]

foodd_1-1694609729948.png

Follow Gilbert Quevauvilliers post from June 2022 for general instructions.

what are the next steps in this process?   I've managed to follow these steps and get query results but can't figure out how to get those results into a .csv  or .xls file.  the only way to export the results I see is trying to export a table, not the query results and if I select export metrics then I get a .vpax file and I'm not sure what to do with that

Hi, thanks for the response and it's working but i cant extract all the rows in the table but the only thats visble in the table, why's that? 

I tried to extract 4577 rows but only 500 is extracted in the CSV file.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Hell @Sukhraj_Ghuman, if I understand you correctly, I believe that you are referring 

to when you preview a table in DAX Studio it uses TOPN to limit the display  to

the top 500 rows.

// Generated DAX Query to display top 500 rows of 'Table 3'
EVALUATE 
TOPN( 500, 'Table 3' )

// DAX Query to display all rows of 'Table 3'
EVALUATE 'Table 3'

Ok, thanks.

I tried and its working just fine.

Thanks a lot! And have a great day!

Should mention that in DAX Studio, if you look to Advanced > Export Data, you can dump one or more Tables from the local model without restriction.

foodd
Super User
Super User

A handy alternative or primary resource to export to CSV would be 

DAX Studio.

The current reference to DAX Studio is:  DAX Studio | DAX Studio

When exporting, choose CSV or Static Excel File as shown in the screenshot below:

foodd_0-1694607247334.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.