Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bgelinas
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Azure database for MySQL server

Hi guys,

I'm trying to connect to Azure Database for MySQL server with powerBi and i'm encoutering errors after errors.

I tried :

1. Many connector version (6.6.5, 8.0.16, 8.0.17)

2. I tried with and without port 3306

3. I tried to change many times connection login (using with database)

4. Connection works fine with mySQL workbench

5. My IP is added to the firewall using Settings - Connection security

it keeps giving the same error :

« MySQL : Authentication to host '******.mysql.database.azure.com' for user '****@*****' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: The connection string may not be right. Please visit portal for references. »

I'm really out of clue. You gys can help?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bgelinas ,

There are several points you may considerate:

1.Before you can connect to a MySQL database, you need to install MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.5 for Microsoft Windows on your computer. Select the driver that matches your Power BI Desktop installation (32-bit or 64-bit).

2.After installing the MySQL connector, refer to this blog to connect to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

3.If the connection still fails in Power BI Desktop, please check that if you are able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench, ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

4.You can check connection string(Server name, database name, username, password) of Azure MySQL database in Azure Portal following the instructions in this blog.

5.Use latest version of Power BI Desktop.

6.When connecting to your server instance of Azure Database for MySQL, you are required to follow the <username@hostname> format , whether you are doing it from mysqlexe client or MySQL workbench. We recommend you get the complete connection string for your client from the Azure portal and use it when connecting to your MySQL server.

7.Connection issues to Azure SQL Database can be classified as follows:

Transient errors (short-lived or intermittent)

Persistent or non-transient errors (errors that regularly recur)

You may resolve the issue via the troubleshooting link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-troubleshoot-common-connection-issu....

If your Azure issue is not addressed in this article, visit the Azure forums on MSDN and Stack Overflow. You can post your issue in these forums, or post to @AzureSupport on Twitter. You also can submit an Azure support request. To submit a support request, on the Azure support page, select Get support.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried everything that you asked and still have this message (when passing to COnnector NET 6.6.5) 

Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream powerbi

I searched a lot and people still seam to have this issue. Please help!

Hi,

Have you ever solved this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.