Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anaib
Regular Visitor

Unable to connect to Azure Blob Storage that has "anonymous" access disabled

We have a dataset stored as an .xlsx blob in Azure storage blob container.  We do not allow anonymous access to storage accounts. 

anaib_0-1711556699520.png

When I try to add data set in Power BI Desktop, I get "Public access is not permitted on this storage account".

anaib_1-1711556812898.png

Needless to say but we cannot allow anonymous access.   We do have public access enabled at the network level:

anaib_2-1711556897847.png

I have also tried to use Web data set and using SAS key but run into similar issue.  Do I really need to enable "anonymous" access in order to access .xlsx stored in a blob storage in Azure?  Is there a secured way to access .xlsx storage in a blob storage in Azure?

1 REPLY 1
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @anaib ,

1. When Blob Storage receives an anonymous request, the request will succeed if all of the following conditions are met:

1) Allow anonymous public access to storage accounts.
2) The container is configured to allow anonymous public access.
3) This request is for read access.

If an anonymous request is made using a version of the service that does not support bearer challenges and the storage account is not allowed anonymous public access, the service returns error code 409 (Conflict). For more details, please refer to the link: Public access is not permitted on this storage account - Microsoft Community Hub.

2. Secure connection to Azure Blob Storage can be done using Shared Access Signature (SAS). For more details, please refer to the link: Azure Blob Storage - Power Query | Microsoft Learn.

vkaiyuemsft_0-1711593675035.png

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.