Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fia123
Helper II
Helper II

UNION function mixes columns

Hi, I know that this subject has been discussed earlier in this forum, but I still don't know how to solve my issue.

I am making a PWBI model based on data from two different ERP systems.  I have many examples where I have to combine two tables with different number of columns.

I tried to solved this problem by manipulating the tables before I am making the new table with used of the UNION function, ie add a new column to the table where it is missing and sets the values to "0" or blank (New column = 0). BUT it is not working, in the new table the columns are mixed.

I  have used the UNION function (Power BI DAX) before with big success - so why does it not work this way?

I have few millions of row in my tables - and I used Sql queries to get the data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I used Selectcolumns first  and then the UNION function - and it worked great!!!!!! 

This is a much more tidy way to do it - it provides a clear distinction between extrated and transformed data.

Thank you very much - a learn something new 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ballard-Atkins
Frequent Visitor

I found the following helpful in how JOINs work: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38549/what-is-the-difference-between-inner-join-and-outer-join

I had a similar problem, I think.

I join two tables (TableA, TableB) that both have unique timestamps, the relationships/JOIN in PWBI didn't connect them as I wanted, so I created a new table (TableAll) with ALL the values from both TimeStamp columns, then linked TableA:TimeStamp to TableAll:TimeStamp, and TableB:TimeStamp to TableAll:TimeStamp. 

This way, when I use TableAll:TimeStamp as an axis, I can then reference data from both TableA and TableB.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you use selectcolumns dax function to list the order it should go in?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Do you mean, first making two new tables by use of Selectcolumns - and afterwards combined those two with use of UNION?

I used Selectcolumns first  and then the UNION function - and it worked great!!!!!! 

This is a much more tidy way to do it - it provides a clear distinction between extrated and transformed data.

Thank you very much - a learn something new 🙂

Can you supply the syntax for this? Thnk you @Fia123 

Hi, 

I have the same issue, can you please explain how you solved it?

great

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors