Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zenonsbelskiss
Frequent Visitor

Translate calculated column into a measure

Hello PowerBi Guru's!

I have created a calculated column for later use in a different measure. However, I quickly came to a conclusion that this calculated column does not change when a filter is applied (a manager is selected in my situation).  Here is my calculated column which sums up the sales for a month each year for a certain product (I have many products, many months and many years):

Total value by product Monthly = 
var product = [Products]
var monthno = [Month No]
var yearno = [Year No]
return
CALCULATE(SUM(SALES[Sales in units]), filter(sales, [Products] = product), FILTER(sales, [Month No] = monthno), filter(sales, [Year No] = yearno))

The 'sales' table represents all unique invoices and dates.

Is there a way for me to translate this dax expression to be used as a measure and display the same values, but when I select a manager (not all products of the same type are sold by one manager) the values adapt to display a correct sum of sales in units monthly next to the product.

P.S. if you have some kind of tutorial that explains this phenomenon then please send it . I still do not understand fully how to make measures for certain totals.

Huge thanks for spending your time on my seemingly simple problem,

Zenons Belskis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@zenonsbelskiss , my Bad. Check

var product = max(Table[Products])
var monthno = max(Table[Month No])
var yearno = max(Table[Year No])
return
CALCULATE(SUM(SALES[Sales in units]), filter(allselected(sales), [Products] = product && [Month No] = monthno && [Year No] = yearno))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@zenonsbelskiss , Try a measure like

return
CALCULATE(SUM(SALES[Sales in units]), filter(sales, [Products] = product && [Month No] = monthno && [Year No] = yearno))

@amitchandak The measure that you suggested (I renamed it a sales in units total by product monthly) just displays the same values as just sales in units, not the sum. 😞

zenonsbelskiss_0-1606836008387.png

@zenonsbelskiss , my Bad. Check

return
CALCULATE(SUM(SALES[Sales in units]), filter(allselected(sales), [Products] = product && [Month No] = monthno && [Year No] = yearno))

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.