Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tking
Regular Visitor

Transforming one large column into multiple distinct columns based on a third column

Hey I've ran into a situation where I need to pivot a grouping column and the relevant data should be grouped based on that.

I'm trying to group display value by row number but it's not working as I'd like it to. image.png

When I group them, I get two tables with displayValue but I need to transpose both of them to be ready to append to my table. My goal is to have it in a format like this. 

image.png

Any ideas ?

7 REPLIES 7
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @tking 

please paste this code into the advanced editor and follow the steps:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs7PMQzKLzdU0lEyVIrVAQsYoQsYowuAtBgBBYyQtaAIGCMEYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Column2"}, {{"Row", each _[Column1]}}),
    Custom1 = Table.FromRows( #"Grouped Rows"[Row] )
in
    Custom1

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

tking
Regular Visitor

hey @ImkeF 

I tried your approach and it worked fine but the problem is that I have null values for some of my cells. Is there a way to keep them without writing more custom M code? I was hoping for an easier non code solution to the problem because it seems so trivial when you think about it

Hi @tking 

could you please paste an example of the exact result you want to see from the sample data you've provided?

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

tking
Regular Visitor

Hey @ImkeF 

Something like this based on the initial data

image.png

Hi @tking 

my solution keeps the nulls as you've requested.

Much of it can be done through the UI:

- Check column "Row Number"

- Group and select "All" at "Operations"

- Tweak the resulting code by adding the ColumnName in square brackets

I'm afraid I cannot think of a simpler solution here. 

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hi @tking,

first group by rowNumber, make sure you change Operation to 'All rows'. You could also change the new column name to something more meaningfull than Count, e.g. newDisplayValue.

Then add a custom with this code: Table.Column([newDisplayValues],"displayValue")

Now you will see that the new column has an expand button in the title bar. Click on this and select Extract values, and separate the values with a delimter, e.g. ||. 

Next split the new column by the delimter you choose.

Finish off by removing the newDisplayValue column

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

hey @sturlaws Grouping by rowNumber gives me a new table and I get a conversion error from table to list when I try your custom code.

image.pngimage.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.