Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transform date to YYYY-MM

Hi,

I'm just starting wiht PowerBI desktop.

My request :

-I have an excel file including a Date

-I load it in PBI GOOD.

-I want to create a field 'month date'

I'm triing infor shared on https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Transform-date-to-MM-YYYY/m-p/205311#M90409

but it failed each time : FORMAT function unknown.

additionnal info : my power BI is in French, I cannot find a way to change to english. could be the issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

One more thing you should be noticed that, when you use FORMAT() function to transform the date. It will be a text type value not a date any more.

So if you still want to keep it as date. You can try the build in "MMMM yyyy" date format. Choose your date column, go to Modeling and you can find this date format at Format option.

4.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

One more thing you should be noticed that, when you use FORMAT() function to transform the date. It will be a text type value not a date any more.

So if you still want to keep it as date. You can try the build in "MMMM yyyy" date format. Choose your date column, go to Modeling and you can find this date format at Format option.

4.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Floriankx
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The link you shared is for PowerQuery not PowerBI.

Dax should be: =FORMAT(DateColumn;"YYYY-MM")

Best regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.