Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrmarten

The real actual value not the count of values

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Power BI

I have a problem where i want to get the actual value of a series of values.the problem

Instead of getting the count that there is one value how can i get the value itself ?

I have tried to do a measure and do: PPM = VALUES(sensorcollection[Document.ppm])

But when i try to pass that PPM Measure to Values i get the following error message:

a table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected

What am i doing wrong ?

/Marten

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your fields that you are using are strings, not numeric, thus you only have the count or distinct count option.  You need to convert these to numeric (go to the Modeling tab and change the Data Type) and then you can perform aggregations like sum, average, etc.  If there is only one value per X axis increment, then these aggregations will return the actual value.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Your fields that you are using are strings, not numeric, thus you only have the count or distinct count option.  You need to convert these to numeric (go to the Modeling tab and change the Data Type) and then you can perform aggregations like sum, average, etc.  If there is only one value per X axis increment, then these aggregations will return the actual value.

This solution is no longer applicable. When I go to the Modeling Tab, I do not see any way to change the Data Type. Has the way to change data types been updated in the last 7 years?

Thanks Dkay,

That did it! 🙂

I guess i have to take a Power BI 101 Crash Course asap.

/Marten

Always make sure to check the data types of your fields. You can easily tell if one is numeric or not because numeric types will have a sigma sign in front of the name in the fields list.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.