Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FannyZ
Frequent Visitor

Text strings creates additional lines in csv extract

Hello,

I'm using power bi to merge multiple tables which one of them include some text manually entered coming from an excel sheet. On the excel sheet, we may have: 

"02/03: Update from OEM

24/02: checking stock" 

Which means, each lines are returned to a new line using alt-Enter

I created a table in power bi, which shows the excel text info (see column remarks).
In power BI, the column remark appears correctly. However, when I extract the data, the csv file return all info on the first line, and then adds a new line for all lines that were returned to a new line in the original excel sheet. 

Sorry, quite complex to explain, hope the pictures help.

How can I do to avoid that the lines are returned to a new cell ? 

FannyZ_0-1678113232614.png

FannyZ_0-1678113762327.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FannyZ 

Can you provide the expected result you want or the sample expected result?

I'm a little confused by the problem you're described, do you mean you want to split the yellow parts of this image into each line?

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

FannyZ
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for trying to help. At the end, I solved the issue by removing every returned line in my excel data based. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
QuinnP
Advocate II
Advocate II

I found a simple solution to this problem. When reading the csv in power pivot, the QuoteStyle parameter of the Csv.Document function will determine whether newlines within a cell force the rest of the cell onto a new line or not. I changed this parameter from QuoteStyle.None to QuoteStyle.Csv and the issue was resolved.

QuinnP_0-1689921881724.png

I figured this out using the documentation for the Csv.Document function: Power Query Guide - Csv.Document.

FannyZ
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

Thank you for trying to help. At the end, I solved the issue by removing every returned line in my excel data based. 

v-xinruzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FannyZ 

Can you provide the expected result you want or the sample expected result?

I'm a little confused by the problem you're described, do you mean you want to split the yellow parts of this image into each line?

Best Regards!

Yolo Zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.