Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RenaudB
Frequent Visitor

Text file import - use data from the headers as a column

Hello everyone,

I have a new issue with a text file, I have little practice with text files and not sure how to achieve the result.

Here is my text file (excel):

ArtikelMai 2020Mai 2020Mai 2020Mai 2020
 Umsatz EKUmsatz EK VJAbsatzAbsatz VJ
23451 4561 7433037

Actually I need to use the "Mai 2020" which is unfortunately located in the header.

My final table in powerBI should be something like that:

ArtikelUmsatz EKUmsatz EK VJAbsatzAbsatz VJDate
123401950901/05/2020
23451 4561 743303701/05/2020

I would like to fetch the value of the "Mai 2020" cell and add it as a new column.

I'm faily new to importing text files, could anyone direct me towards the functionality used for that in PowerBI ?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Extracting the value shouldn't be too hard - you could just duplicate the query, remove all but the top row, transpose the table, promote headers to get rid of the Artikel, retain just the top row and rename the column. Just a case then of joining it into the main table.

View solution in original post

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this M code for an example of how to do this with your example data.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, go to Advanced Editor, and replace the text there with the M code below.  Note that I had to add an extra step you probably won't need.  I have to convert the month from Mai to May, since my locale is different.  Delete that step when you try it.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WUlDSUQrNLU4sqVJw9UZmK4R5AbmOSSAunAESjNWJVjI0MjYBChoAsaGlKZRlCZYCyoAEDBVMTM3AtLmJMZA2BqkwNleKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Artikel = _t, #"Mai 2020" = _t, #"Mai 2020.1" = _t, #"Mai 2020.2" = _t, #"Mai 2020.3" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Artikel", Int64.Type}, {"Mai 2020", type text}, {"Mai 2020.1", type text}, {"Mai 2020.2", type text}, {"Mai 2020.3", type text}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"){1}),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Added Custom", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Umsatz EK", type text}, {"Umsatz EK VJ", type text}, {"Absatz", Int64.Type}, {"Absatz VJ", Int64.Type}, {"Mai 2020", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Column1", "Artikel"}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"){5}, "Date"}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns","Mai","May",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Date"}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Date2", each Date.FromText([Date])),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Date2", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type2"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please see this M code for an example of how to do this with your example data.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, go to Advanced Editor, and replace the text there with the M code below.  Note that I had to add an extra step you probably won't need.  I have to convert the month from Mai to May, since my locale is different.  Delete that step when you try it.

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WUlDSUQrNLU4sqVJw9UZmK4R5AbmOSSAunAESjNWJVjI0MjYBChoAsaGlKZRlCZYCyoAEDBVMTM3AtLmJMZA2BqkwNleKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Artikel = _t, #"Mai 2020" = _t, #"Mai 2020.1" = _t, #"Mai 2020.2" = _t, #"Mai 2020.3" = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Artikel", Int64.Type}, {"Mai 2020", type text}, {"Mai 2020.1", type text}, {"Mai 2020.2", type text}, {"Mai 2020.3", type text}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"){1}),
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Added Custom", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Umsatz EK", type text}, {"Umsatz EK VJ", type text}, {"Absatz", Int64.Type}, {"Absatz VJ", Int64.Type}, {"Mai 2020", type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type1",{{"Column1", "Artikel"}, {Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"){5}, "Date"}}),
#"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Renamed Columns","Mai","May",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Date"}),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Date2", each Date.FromText([Date])),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Date2", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type2"

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Extracting the value shouldn't be too hard - you could just duplicate the query, remove all but the top row, transpose the table, promote headers to get rid of the Artikel, retain just the top row and rename the column. Just a case then of joining it into the main table.

Thanks to you 3!

I managed to get something working using @jthomson 's solution. Other 2 seemed to be working also.

Very appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.