Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Justas4478
Post Patron
Post Patron

Table totals showing wrong values

Hi I have a measure multiplies one column with other to do the multiplication. The result values are correct but when I look at the totals at the bottom of the table they are showing much bigger numbers. When I filter for singe item totals match to that item but whent there are more than 1 item in the table totals starting to show bigger than values for those items.

This is the DAX measure that I am using. 

PICKS_VALUE £ =
CALCULATE(SUMX(DIM_ITEM,'DIM_ITEM'[UNIT_PURCHASE_COST]) * SUMX(VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM,'VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM'[ONHAND]))
Justas4478_0-1670842942721.png 

The totals expected for the PICKS_VALUE £ should be 128064 and for PICKS_VOLUME 666.05
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Justas4478 

sorry, I identified another missing piece (i think". Please try:

PICKS_VALUE £ =

SUMX(
   DIM_ITEM,
   'DIM_ITEM'[UNIT_PURCHASE_COST] * CALCULATE(SUM('VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM'[ONHAND]))
)

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

LinkedIn

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Justas4478 

right ... can you please try:

PICKS_VALUE £ =

SUMX(
   DIM_ITEM,
   'DIM_ITEM'[UNIT_PURCHASE_COST] * SUM('VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM'[ONHAND])
)

Best regards

Michael

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

LinkedIn

Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

@Mikelytics No error this time but totals still wrong. I guess the totals are looking at more items than just the ones on the table maybe.

HI @Justas4478 

sorry, I identified another missing piece (i think". Please try:

PICKS_VALUE £ =

SUMX(
   DIM_ITEM,
)

Best regards

Michael

LinkedIn

@Mikelytics It worked. Thank you. Could you explain what was wrong and why solution you provided worked so I could understand and learn?

Hi   @Justas4478 

first of all great that irt worked and sure I try to explain it as easy as possible.

lets start with your formula:

PICKS_VALUE £ =
CALCULATE(
   SUMX(DIM_ITEM,'DIM_ITEM'[UNIT_PURCHASE_COST])
   SUMX(VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM,'VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM'[ONHAND])
)

The problem was here, that in the first part you itertate through all Dim_Items and get a result 
in the next step you again go through all items and get a second result. 
then the first and the second result have been multiplied.

So you DID NOT multiple by row and then took the SUM of all results
you DID Iterate first through each table separately and multiplied the results of each table afterwards. This is why you only got the right result when choosing one value.

then lets look on my result;

SUMX(
   DIM_ITEM,
)I used SUMX on the DIM table. This means that we iterate through each line-item of this table.

for each line item we do the multiplication of field one and field two. But why do we need CALCULATE and SUM ofr the second and not for the first on. This is because [UNIT_PURCHASE_COST] is part of the DIM_ITEM table and Power BI gets for each line of DIM_ITEM one specific value in the column [UNIT_PURCHASE_COST].

In the second parameter this is not the case because is part of another table which is linked to DIM_ITEMS. This is why you need an aggregation function like SUM(). BUt as you have seen this was not enough. We also needed CALCULATE to get the right result. This is because SUM by default ignores row context, in this case the row context given by the iteration of DIM_ITEM. But by surrounding it with CALCULTE() you tell Power BI to apply row context and this is why you get the right result in the end.

Best regards

Michael

LinkedIn

@Mikelytics Thank you it is really good explanation I was not aware that sum ignores row part in the tables. Thanks again.

Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Justas4478 

Can you please try the following:

PICKS_VALUE £ =

SUMX(
   DIM_ITEM,
   'DIM_ITEM'[UNIT_PURCHASE_COST] * 'VAL_WHSE_ONHAND_6AM'[ONHAND]
)

If this does not work then I would need to see your data model, especially how the two tables relate to each other and which columns from which table are used in the visual.

Best regards

Michael

LinkedIn

@Mikelytics I got this message when I tried your formula. 

Justas4478_0-1670844378107.png

This is the realationships of the tables. They are connected using ITEM ID.

Justas4478_1-1670844548296.png

Let me know if you need more information.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.