Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DonalMc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Table.TransformColumnNames - Insert Space Between Capitals

Does anyone know if it would be possible to use Table.TransformColumnNames to turn something like "IssueIndicatorStatus" into "Issue Indicator Status"

With @mike_honey  and @arify  help, I have already managed to remove a common string from a bunch of column names with the below, and am wondering if there is a similar method to bulk add spaces.

#"RemovedbwPCI" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Removed bwPCache", (columnName as text) as text => Text.Replace(columnName, "bwPCI", "")),

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Buried in that thread is my post linking to my demo file for this challenge - it covers your scenario too:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Auto-rename-all-Query-columns-e-g-to-remove-underscore/m-p/...

Apply that to your code would be:

#"RemovedbwPCI" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Removed bwPCache", each Text.Trim(Text.Proper(Text.Combine( List.Transform( Text.ToList ( _ ) , each if _ = Text.Upper(_) then " " & _ else _ ) , ""))))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Buried in that thread is my post linking to my demo file for this challenge - it covers your scenario too:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Auto-rename-all-Query-columns-e-g-to-remove-underscore/m-p/...

Apply that to your code would be:

#"RemovedbwPCI" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"Removed bwPCache", each Text.Trim(Text.Proper(Text.Combine( List.Transform( Text.ToList ( _ ) , each if _ = Text.Upper(_) then " " & _ else _ ) , ""))))

Hi Mike - thanks again for that. I can't believe I missed that - I actually had your Power Query demo - Renaming Columns automatically open on my desktop.

When I add the column I get Expression.Error: There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.

#"Add Spaces" = Table.TransformColumnNames(#"RemovedbwPCI", each Text.Trim(Text.Proper(Text.Combine( List.Transform( Text.ToList ( _ ) , each if _ = Text.Upper(_) then " " & _ else _ ) , "")))),

addSpacesError.png

@mike_honey I played around with it some more and got it to work.

Thanks an mill for the help - have a great Christmas and I hope you're not sweltering too much.

And BTW - just in case any one else hits the same ExpressionError that I got, my mistake was adding Mike's code in the middle of the steps instead of at the end.

hnguy71
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @DonalMc ,

It's possible and @Zubair_Muhammad had a really great solution here .  I've made modifications to it to match your criteria:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCs7PTfUvyUgtCkmtKFGK1YlWKkkthjCKU9Lc0lKUYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each 
    let
        MyList = Text.ToList([Column1]),
        ListCount = List.Count(MyList),
        ListArr = {"A".."Z"}
    in
        Text.Combine(List.Generate(()=> [
            a = 0, 
            b = MyList {a}
        ],
        each [a] < ListCount, 
        each [
            a = [a] + 1, 
            b = if List.Contains(ListArr, MyList {a}) then " " & MyList {a} else MyList {a}
        ], 
        each [b]
        )))
in
    #"Added Custom"

So, pretty much you need to create a new custom column with a function to find the string and add a space in front of it.

Did I answer your question?
Please help by clicking the thumbs up button and mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.