Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Wienforth
Frequent Visitor

Switch connection to a different Power BI Service Dataset without breaking calculated columns

Hi everyone,

I've been scratching my head over this the last couple of days.

Whenever I switch the connection every calculated column remains in the table i originally created it in, keeping the name of the table but without any other fields. Both datasets in question have the same table / data structure / data type.

The new connection simply creates a table with a 2 appendix with all the fiels except the calculated column.

Here's an example:

I created a very basic calculated column as an example 

Wienforth_1-1695310146521.png

Located in this table

Wienforth_2-1695310182930.png

When I switch the connection to a different dataset, the structure looks like the following, the new connection created a new table:

Wienforth_3-1695310472506.png

I'm quite sure it has something to do with how Power BI handles calculated columns being attached to tables directly so it might not be possible but i didn't loose hope yet :D. I tried changing a couple of this with tabular editor but the only thing I could thing of was to recreate all calculated columns and measures to restore the functionality.

Here are my questions:

• It is possible to switch a direct query connection to a Power BI Dataset to a different dataset without breaking calculated columns and measures that depend on said column?
  • If not, do you know the least painful way of transfering calculated columns and dependent measures to the new table?

Best regards and have a nice day!

Timo

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Wienforth Well, with DAX Editor Pro (Enterprise DNA) you can select your columns, switch the Table and click Save to transfer the calculated column to another table. I really should release a free version of that tool...or maybe add that functionality to Metadata Mechanic.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler

that would be more than fantastic! 😄 Do you know of any other sort of pain free way to transfer columns? 

Best regards and thanks as always for your replies!

Timo

@Wienforth I would think that Tabular Editor could do it if you wrote the C# code. I'll have to dig up my code for moving calculated columns and measures. There may be other third-party tools out there, I'd have to look around and see what's out there. With measures you can just change the Home table, but there's nothing native that I know with for calculated columns.

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.