Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Survey Plain Text Data - Setting Minimum Response Threshold

Hello everyone! I've got a puzzler here that I'd love to get some perspective on.

As part of a larger survey results dashboard, I have created a table visualization that shows plain text comments associated with individual identifiers. The visualization is filterable many ways. In some cases, a user would be able to filter down to fewer than 5 individual respondents, which exposes people's identity. This is the challenge I'm trying to fix.

For individual measures, I have a good solution:

Census - Inorganic Growth Employee Count = var result = DISTINCTCOUNT('Census - Inorganic Growth'[Empl ID])

return IF(DISTINCTCOUNT('Census - Inorganic Growth'[Empl ID]) >= 5, result)

The above works well for summary scores and most visualizations. However, I need to implement the same type of strategy to output a table. Here's the code I'm using right now -- it throws an error:

Comments Table (Filtered) = var result = CALCULATETABLE('2020-2021 - Comments')
return IF(DISTINCTCOUNT('2020-2021 - Comments'[EmployeeId]) >= 5, result)

Error received:

The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

This seems like it might have a relatively simple fix. Any ideas? Thank you so much!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems a bit odd that this isn't doable in PowerBI. Anyone else have any ideas? This is mission critical for my team!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , seen like you are still creating a measure, not a table, that is why this error.

Also, I doubt you need to have some grouping involved at what level it should be >5. and that need a different approach

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for helping, @amitchandak ! I changed the DAX expression to be in a "new table," but still am getting the same error.

I can't group the employee ID numbers; they need to be filterable many different ways. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Hi @Anonymous ,

This error cause by if statement in Power BI. 

Currently as far as I know, if statement not support to return table or multiple columns as expressions result. If statement should return a specific sclar value instead of table value. In addition, Power bi not support to create dynamic calculated column/table based on filter/slicer.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.