Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

delphinew
Helper III
Helper III

Sum a multiplication with if

Hi everyone, 

I am a newbie at Power BI, very used to Qlik but have to change software. 

I have an issue with a formula of that type : sum(quantity*if(cost_a<>0;cost_a;cost_b)). To do that, I have 2 tables :

- TRANSACTION

- ARTICLES

as shown below

Capture.PNG

I highlighted the column needed for the calculation. I then want to have the result of course for each product but also for each type of client (as you can see, the column is sadly empty) :

Capture2.PNG

I tried to combine the IF function with the SUM, the SUM with FILTER, and didn't succeed to anything. I guess I don't know how to use the IF function properly. If anyone could help me on that issue, it would be great !

Thank you very much for your help, 

Delphine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@delphinew Try like. maxx

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));
 "M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@delphinew 

Try combine with your actual model, I am not clear of how is your model looks like but try something like this:

Measure = 
var costtable = SUMMARIZE('Transaction','Transaction'[ART_code], 'Transaction'[Product], 'Transaction'[Client Type],'Transaction'[Cost a], 'Transaction'[Cost b],"Cost", IF('Transaction'[Cost a]<>0,'Transaction'[Cost a],'Transaction'[Cost b]))

Return SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(costtable,[product],[client type]),'Transaction'[Quantity]*[Cost])

The idea is create a column of actual cost, you can store it in the measure like above using Summarize, or just create a calculated column in the transaction table: 

cost column= IF('Transaction'[Cost a]<>0,'Transaction'[Cost a],'Transaction'[Cost b])

measure = SUMX(ALLEXCEPT('Transaction',[product],[client type]),[Quantity]*cost column)

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft , 

thank you for your answer, I get your idea, but why should I need to create a new table to be able to perform that formula or create a new column in the original table ? I think it complexifies the model by repeating a piece of information already existing. in Qlik, the formula is as follow : 

sum({$<V_annee={'$(=max(CalendarYear))'},V_type={'*vente*'}>}V_qte*if(ART_PRI<>0,ART_PRI,ART_PRI_Exact))

without any addition to the tables I have nore any new table (even temporary).

If I have no other choice, I will create a new column in my table ARTICLES, but I rather won't.

Thank you very much for your help !

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@delphinew ,

Try like: sumx(Summmarize(Article[ArtCOde],"M1",maxx(Atricle,if(Art_pri<>0, art_prc,art_pri_excat)),"M2",sum(Trascation[]V_qty)),[M1]*[M2])

Hi @amitchandak 

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";max(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));"M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])but I have 2 errors :

- cannot find one unique value for ART_PRI_Exact in talbe ARTICLES
- cannot find the name ART_PRI and ART_PRI_Exact (fyi, Exact is the name of our ERP) 
thank you for your help !

@delphinew Try like. maxx

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));
 "M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])

Hi @amitchandak 

thank you for your quick answer ! 🙂 I had an error first with MAXX that's why I put only MAXX (did not understand there were 2 different functions, sorry). I have no more error on the measure but it can't be shown on the screen : there is another error "la fin de l'entrée a été atteinte" which could be translated by "the end of the entry has been reached". Any idea ?

thank you very much, 

Delphine

@amitchandak I got it : I am multiplicating a reference with a price... 😥 Let me try to fix it, and I tell you.

Hi @amitchandak , I tried to do it step by step to understand where could the errors come from and it still doesn't work : even the IF function returns me an error "cannot find name" while I followed the example given there if function dax microsoft docs 

if([ART_PRI]<>0;[ART_PRI];[ART_PRI_Exact])

and "impossible to have one unique value"

if(ARTICLES[ART_PRI]<>0;ARTICLES[ART_PRI];ARTICLES[ART_PRI_Exact])

or 

if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0;'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact])

(I still don't understand why sometimes you have ' before and after the name of the table, and sometimes you don't).

The COG calculation is supposed to be one of my simplest calculations, I am quite afraid for the other ones I have to do 😢

thank you very much for your help !

Hi, 

I don't know why, but after a dozen tries, the IF function did work. So here is the formula now :

sumx(SUMMARIZE('ARTICLES';'ARTICLES'[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));"M2";SUM('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M2]*[M1])

it is a half success.

When I put the measure in front of my articles, I got the expected result (I created a calculated column ART_PRI_calc to check the result) :

Capture3.PNG 

but put in front of my client categories, it goes wrong :

Capture4.PNG

any idea ?

thank you very much !

Hi, 

I think I have a clue: Power BI didn't load my entire table ARTICLES, only half the lines (1300 vs 2500)... I am trying to understand why, because the table is not so big and my table TRANSACTION has been fully loaded while way to big. I deleted and recreated the query numerous times, still doesn't work. Is there a maximum of lines for xlsx files to be imported to Power BI ?

thank you !

@amitchandak I finally suceeded to load my whole table ARTICLES and your formula did work ! 😁 thank you very much ! I still have to resolve the not-loading issue (I deleted and recreated the query 5 times to make it work, without changing anything, so quite strange for me)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.