Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hm13
Frequent Visitor

Star Schema Bidirectional Filtering

Hi, I'm relatively new to PowerBI, and I've got a situation I can't find a workaround for.

I have two fact tables, both have the following columns: Date, Name and Site . The rest of their columns individually describe each form submission. I would like to have a slicer for the Date, Name and Site that filters the fact tables. I already have dimension tables for the Date, Name and Site connected to the slicer and the fact table using 1:many relationships so I can filter the data. However, I would like the Date and Site slicers to also filter the Name slicer to only show the names that fit under those criteria. What would be the best way to go about doing this while still being efficient with respect to star schema?

The best thing I can think of is to merge the two fact tables together, but I don't want to merge them. I've tried to make the following bidirecitonal relationship model:

hm13_0-1689716162349.png

However, when I try to add a second bidirectional relationship between the other fact table the and name dimension table, it doesn't allow it. Is there any way to get around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hm13 , When you have more than one fact, not all join can become - bi-directional, as they can create loops or multiple paths. Also they are suggested one 

The workaround for slicers are

https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/powerquery-filter-a-table-based-on-another-table-column...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@hm13 , When you have more than one fact, not all join can become - bi-directional, as they can create loops or multiple paths. Also they are suggested one 

The workaround for slicers are

https://eriksvensen.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/powerquery-filter-a-table-based-on-another-table-column...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.