Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sql server error

Hi I'm trying to refresh the data in power bi but whenever I try to do so I get the following error:

Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Please let me know what to do to get rid of this error

4 REPLIES 4
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you've fixed the issue on your own please kindly share your solution. If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

1. Make sure SQL Server Service is running
  2. If a named instance, make sure SQL Server browser service is running
  3. Make sure SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections
  4. Examine the SQL Server error log for messages confirming that SQL is listening on the expected network interfaces and ports
  5. Test server connectivity with PING from the client machine
  6. Test port connectivity using TELNET or PowerShell to the server and port (from step 4) from the client machine.  For example:
    • TELNET <server-name> 1433
    • PowerShell: 1433 | % { echo ((new-object Net.Sockets.TcpClient).Connect("YourServerName",$_)) "server listening on TCP port $_" }
  7. Check firewall settings if step 5 or 6 connectivity test fails

You can refer this document to check: Troubleshoot connecting to the SQL Server Database Engine 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

you are not able to connect to the sql server database that is used to import data for your Power BI model.. The database may be down, the network may be down, or you VPN connection is not working.  So it is either network connectivity or the database being down.

you should call your IT and log a ticket

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andre Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.