Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gavinashton
Regular Visitor

Split based on specifically formatted string

I have a column with a range of different strings in each row, but every one will include either L1, L2 or L3. So I want to create a custom column that just has that L1, L2 or L3 value. The standard split function doesn't quite seem to do the job. I guess this is basic stuff for the folks here 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, Forgot to mention it's Power Query (my signature indicates that most of my solutions are Power Query).

The entire code from the advanced query editor (I used Power Query in Excel, but with a different source it also works in Power BI):

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"String", type text}}),

// Simple solution but not very flexible
    Simple = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "IfThenElse", each if Text.Contains([String],"L1") then "L1" else if Text.Contains([String],"L2") then "L2" else "L3"),

// More dynamic solution: returns the first element of the list that is found 
    StringsToBeFound={"L1","L2","L3"},
    Dynamic = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Lookup", (ThisRecord) => List.Select(StringsToBeFound, each Text.PositionOf(ThisRecord[String],_) >= 0){0})
in
    Dynamic
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sounds like extraction rather than splitting.

Anyhow I have 2 solutions in the code part below:

Simple = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "IfThenElse", each if Text.Contains([String],"L1") then "L1" else if Text.Contains([String],"L2") then "L2" else "L3"),

Dynamic = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Lookup", (ThisRecord) => List.Select(StringsToBeFound, each Text.PositionOf(ThisRecord[String],_) >= 0){0})

Nice. So that would be under a new column in the query editor? Reason for asking is I'm getting 'Token Eof expected'.

Yes, Forgot to mention it's Power Query (my signature indicates that most of my solutions are Power Query).

The entire code from the advanced query editor (I used Power Query in Excel, but with a different source it also works in Power BI):

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    PreviousStep = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"String", type text}}),

in
    Dynamic

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.