Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jurgen1978
Regular Visitor

Sorting a visual based on a measure with numeric values and asterisk

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems sorting for example a visual, based on a measure that consists of numeric values as well as Asterisk (values which we don't want to show because too small) Until now, the result looks like this:

Jurgen1978_0-1616670067785.png

The blank categories are categories which in this case (placed some filters) have an outcome <10 which will result in asterisk (which means " we dont want to show this outcome, since it is too small". Apparently the asterisk (special signs?) outcomes are considered higher values, than numeric values, when I choose Sort descending, since they are placed in top of the categories that do have numeric outcomes. 

What I would want, is to have the blank categories below the categories with values. The fact that they are blank is ok. It's just that this way it just looks terrible (for me and more important for the end users)

Does anyone have a possible solution to overcome this issue? 

Many thanks in advance. 

Jurgen 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi  @Jurgen1978 ,

How about if you create a measure as below:

Measure=if(outcome>10,outcome,blank())

If it still doesnt work,could you pls provide some sample data for test?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Hi Kelly. Thank you for your reply. The formula works. However, Power BI won't show the categories with value Blank. For the moment I replaced Blank in your formula with 0. While sorting desc. the categories with value 0 are shown below the categories which have values >10

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jurgen1978 , One why is to hide blank is using the visual level filter. So you can is measure is not blank. Not sure if that can work for you

Thank you for your answer! However, actually the outcome is not necesarrily blank. All outcomes <10 are given an asterisk sign, which results in blank, in the visual. So the advanced filter "is not blank" doesn't work. Moreover I wouldn't want to hide them. I would want to show the categories, however I would want them to be situated below the categories tat do show values. 

Hi  @Jurgen1978 ,

How about if you create a measure as below:

Measure=if(outcome>10,outcome,blank())

If it still doesnt work,could you pls provide some sample data for test?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi Kelly. Thank you for your reply. The formula works. However, Power BI won't show the categories with value Blank. For the moment I replaced Blank in your formula with 0. While sorting desc. the categories with value 0 are shown below the categories which have values >10

Hi  @Jurgen1978 ,

As tested here,it works fine.

v-kelly-msft_1-1617268449659.png

For decending,0 should below the values of >10,so what is the issue?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Although the solution is not ideal, for the moment it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.