Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

work_1111
Helper II
Helper II

Sort Column Chart

Hello Community - I am trying to sort a column chart based on another column but when I select my visual, I do not get the Column Tools Pane. I would like my x-axis to sort in order by number of days overdue. Any tips?

work_1111_0-1696261826743.png

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @work_1111 ,

You can refer the following links to get it by creating a custom sort dimension table:

Sort a Column with a Custom Order in Power BI - RADACAD

Solved: Sorting rows and columns in matrix visual - Microsoft Fabric Community

The detailed steps as below:

1. Create a dimension table

Item Order
1-7 DAYS OVERDUE 1
8-30 DAYS OVERDUE 2
30+ DAYS OVERDUE 3
90+ DAYS OVERDUE 4
180+ DAYS OVERDUE 5

2. Combining the Sort Order Table with the Data Table

3. Sort by column

vyiruanmsft_1-1697014759267.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft This post did not work for me. Also I have other visuals on the page and it seems clicking the sort order column affects the other visuals. I just want to contain it to the one visual.

@work_1111 ,
You can't have a specific sort order for a field/column in only 1 visual.
The only alternative I can see is create another column for the field, sort it separately and then take that new column in graph.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png  

Give a Thumbs Up if this post helped you in any way and Mark This Post as Solution if it solved your query !!!

Proud To Be a Super User !!!
LinkedIn

christinepayton
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The columns tool pane is not attached to the visual, so select the column in the fields selector on the right and it should pop up there. Then go into the ellipsis menu for the visual once you have the column sort set and sort your axis by the column. 

@christinepayton Thank you for your response, it did not resolve my issue though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors