Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

naninamu
Helper III
Helper III

Slicer not filtering across visuals. Noobie question.

Hi everyone. This is frustrating because although I'm new and learning, I feel this should be simple.

I have two tables: one big table showing smoking rates and another with 3 rows that shows commentary I'd like to appear when Male, Female or All is selected on the slicer.

Table 1 Smoking Rates

naninamu_0-1674533231881.png

Table 2 - Comments

naninamu_1-1674533422310.png

I have linked them as follows.

naninamu_3-1674533597275.png

This is my viz:

naninamu_2-1674533452300.png

The idea is that when "Female" is selected on the dropdown, it will show the female line chart (which it is), but also only the row relating to Females in the commentary. Currently, despite linking the charts, it is showing commentary for males, females and all.

I have tried playing around with the direction of the relationship but nothing seems to work.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@naninamu ,

You have to trim the Gender column in the Smoking rate table since it is having additional blank spaces it is not giving the expected result. If you go to the Power query editor and under thre transform you can see format option click that and use trim after selecting the Gender column from the Smoking rate table.

Arul_0-1674554635908.png

Thanks

Arul

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
naninamu
Helper III
Helper III

Hey Arul - thank you so much! I often have this problem in Excel so I should've thought of it. Great pick up and I'll definitely remember this going forward. Thanks again!!!

Arul
Super User
Super User

@naninamu ,

I think in slicers you are using Gender column from smoking rate table instead from smoking comment table. I assume that filtering direction singlre from Smoking comment->Smoking rate (1:*). If that is the case Gender column in Smoking comment table won't be filtered by Smoking rate table Gender column since filtering won't happen from Smoking rate table to Smoking comment.

Thanks,

Arul

LinkedIn

Thanks Arul.

Yes, I was using Gender from the Smoking Rate table. So I have changed it to Gender from the Comment table.

This is how the data model is set up:

naninamu_0-1674551965420.png

However, now when I filter on Female, the Comment table filters, but all my line graphs have disappeared.

naninamu_1-1674552025385.png

Thanks for your help, but any further thoughts on what the issue it?

Many thanks, Andrew

@naninamu ,

If possible could you share the sample file? Are you using any measures or they are direct columns?

Thanks,

Arul

LinkedIn

Hey Arul - no measures involved, it's meant to be simple with just columns and tables. The file can be downloaded here

Thanks in advance, Andrew

@naninamu ,

You have to trim the Gender column in the Smoking rate table since it is having additional blank spaces it is not giving the expected result. If you go to the Power query editor and under thre transform you can see format option click that and use trim after selecting the Gender column from the Smoking rate table.

Arul_0-1674554635908.png

Thanks

Arul

LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.