Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wesleybarton
Frequent Visitor

Show attributes when hover over dimensions

I very much assume there is a way to do this but I can't find a solution and I don't really know how to even search for an answer.  I have a matrix that has product UPCs as a field.  I would like to display the product description when the user hovers over the UPC so that I don't have to put the description in the matrix, making it difficult to read the table.    I created a tooltip and have it where it will display when looking over the metrics of the table but don't know how to get it to display when hovering over the dimension.  The first picture shows what is displayed when hovering over the dimension right now.  This is where I would like to have the product description displayed.  The second picture is showing how I was able to show product description for that row but only over the metrics.  Thank you in advance for any help. 

Without Description.png

With Description.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wesleybarton 

Do you mean you'd like to show the tooltip when hover on the rows in the matrix? I just tested on my side and failed to achieve this. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@v-diye-msft Thank you for the response.  I am not sure what you mean by you "failed to achieve this."  Are you getting a different result than I am?

To walk you through the steps again:

I have a matrix that I am pulling a dimension named "UPC" into the rows.  This "UPC" is a 10-digit number that represents a product.  This product has a description that I would like displayed when I hover over the "UPC" 10-digit number.  I would rather not pull the product description into the matrix as it would make the matrix very difficult to read.

I created a tooltip page and placed the product description field on a table in the page.

I went back to my matrix and turned on tooltips and set the option to display the tooltip page I previously made.  

When I hover over the metrics (or the values) of the matrix, I see the corresponding UPC description being displayed.  

But when I hover over the "UPC" dimension in the row headers, I do not see the desired product description. 

Hopefully that make sense.  Basically, I would like a way to display an attribute of a field as a popup when hovering over that field.  I assume this is something that could be useful in many different situations. 

@amitchandak Thank you for the quick response.  I actually looked through all of the articles you sent before posting my question and was still unable to find a solution.  (That doesn't mean I am not missing something though).  As you can see in my post's screenshots, I am able to add the tooltip to the matrix table using a tooltip page with the UPC description being displayed.  What I am unable to do is have the tooltip display the UPC description when I hover over the dimension (or row header or left-most portion of the matrix table).  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.