Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsbin
Super User
Super User

Show / Hide Page Navigation Slicer

Good Afternoon,

I have designed a Report with a combination of Slicer Panels and Page Navigation Slicer.  However, I have come across a design issue that I hadn't anticipated.  Looking to see if anyone out there can help me with a work around.  The problem is as follows:

I start at the Home Page.  Page Navigation and Slicer Panel are hidden (Bookmark called "Home").

rsbin_0-1625687166123.png

Clicking the Page Icon, I then display the Page Navigation slicer (using a bookmark called "Home - Show Pages"). 

rsbin_1-1625687264011.png

User then selects the Page and using the Page Navigation Action (Go Button), User is directed to the page selected.  My issue is when the User returns to the Home Page from any other page, the Page Navigation panel remains displayed as this was the last state of this page.

Wondering if there is any way to return to the Home Page in its original state (First image - "Home")??  It seems I am trying to combine both Page Navigation in combination with a Bookmark all in one step.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Best Regards to All,

8 REPLIES 8
ind_AnalystData

Hi @rsbin ,

I am facing a similar issue when trying to combine the page navigator and bookmarks. The issue is when the user returns to the Home Page from any other page, the home page is in the state where the navigation panel was open and hasn't returned to original state.  The premise is for the User to be able to navigate from any page to any other page and be able to see the default state of the pages and not when a bookmark is already open. 

Have you found any solution to this apart from having to create bookmarks for each page ?

Any help on this topic would be great!

Thanks!

Hi @ind_AnalystData ,

To what I can understand this as still the same behaviour since the page navigation moves between pages at the state they are and not return to a previou state.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @rsbin ,

Believe you already have a bookmark of the home page with the Navigation pane closed if not, create one, then just add a button returning to the home page with the action set to that bookmark.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Good Morning @MFelix 

Appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I understand I can use Bookmarks, but due to the large number of pages in my report, using Bookmarks becomes very inefficient.  I would need to create buttons for every page on every page.  As well, I am constantly required to update reports with additional pages.   The "new" Page Navigation makes editing the Report much more efficient. 

In an ideal world, if "Conditional Bookmark" functionality existed as it does with the Page Navigation functionality, I would certainly use a Bookmark Slicer rather than a Page Navigation slicer.  Until that happens, appears I am kinda stuck.

My next step is to attempt to modify my design template to use Bookmark buttons in place of the Page Navigation Slicer.

Again thanks for taking the time and appreciate your thought on this.

Kindest Regards,

Hi @rsbin ,

Is your Home page a specific page on your report or a bookmark on all your pages?

If it's a specific page on your report you only need to create a single bookmark on your report and then copy+paste the button that gives you acces to that bookmark. So you would not be duplicating everysingle page or bookmark.

Maybe I did not understand your requirement, but again if the home page is always the you need to get back to the original layout were the page navigation slicer is hidden.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix,

The main premise is for the User to be able to navigate from any page to any other page.  Hence the requirement for multiple bookmarks on every page.  I simply tried to use the Home Page as one example in my original explanation and perhaps I was too brief in that explanation.

rsbin_0-1626097248643.png

Most of my reports have multiple pages and there is always the need to add additional pages.  Managing Bookmarks in this way will be tedious compared to the idea of adding a page name to a page navigation table and using the slicer.  There are pros and cons to both.  Just have to figure out which way to proceed.

Hi @rsbin ,

In that case you are correct, you would need to have multiple bookmarks.

On the PBI Service are you using and APP or just the report?

In the case of APP in the service automatically you get this type of layout so there would be no need to had this custom bookmark or slicer and you can even customize it to have more pages look and feel of an APP below:

Probably you already know this but take a look at the explanation of the app:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-app-view#open-an-app

Has you can see no the image below the app allows for a compreenshive page navigation and the pane does not impact your report.

MFelix_1-1626164411468.png

Also a plus on this is that you can have multiple reports, add webpages, or other links that you want to your app rather than just that single report.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Good Morning @MFelix,

Apologies for the delayed response, been out for the past couple of days.  Again, thank you for your suggestions.  We are actually moving away from the App and are employing PBI Embedded for most of the Reports.  With Embedded, the pages show as tabs along the bottom and I have been asked to create something that gives the look and feel of a webpage.

Certainly appreciate all of your input and the conversation we had over this.

Kindest Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.