Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Setup Row level security on multiple dimensions

I'm unable to figure out how to setup row-level security on multiple dimensions for a model as described/shown below. 

I've tried to provide as much detail as possible with sample data that pretty closely represents the actual model. I know how to setup dynamic security for just the Org piece but both the Org and Project is where I'm struggling.

Would appreciate any guidance on how I could make it happen. 

RLS.png

Here's a link to a sample model I created in Power BI -> https://file.io/Ty9Nem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@vickyd

No, it's not possible to achieve this kind of RLS. We can only apply dynamic row level filter to limit access based on "1 to 1" mapping which can be achieved with LOOKUPVALUE(). However, we can't have this dynamic security across more than two tables. 

For example, you can get the Org ID based on accessing user. Then you can still get another column value with LOOKUPVALUE() based on these "filtered" Org ID. But you can't go any further to map next column. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@vickyd

No, it's not possible to achieve this kind of RLS. We can only apply dynamic row level filter to limit access based on "1 to 1" mapping which can be achieved with LOOKUPVALUE(). However, we can't have this dynamic security across more than two tables. 

For example, you can get the Org ID based on accessing user. Then you can still get another column value with LOOKUPVALUE() based on these "filtered" Org ID. But you can't go any further to map next column. 

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.