Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nancmadi
Advocate II
Advocate II

Setting Column Widths in Tables

Why doesn't MS Power BI give the option to set a column width? I have 3 memo fields (large amount of data per cell) that I add to a table that I have to spend over 10 minutes manually pulling the field closed to be as wide/small as the Header name, its wasted productivity. Add an option box under Format, Field formatting to enter a field width #, instead of manually sizing a fields. 
PLEASE VOTE

5 REPLIES 5
smpa01
Super User
Super User

@nancmadi  Ruth has a hack to this I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmKVsgqRcE

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs

Thank you Ruth is Awesome isn't she, although my problem is my fields are very large, auto-size is NOT ON, but since its a memo field it max's out to the end of data (that wide), her tip is if your data is small and you want to open it up. But thank you anyway. 

As a workaround, you could try using the first part of the fields with the "LEFT" function.  =LEFT([Memo],25).

Hi @nancmadi ,

You can set the option "Auto-size column width" and "Word wrap" to control the column width display and it need to adjust the width of column manually. You can raise a new idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner. In addition,  here is one similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas, you can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature.

Auto-size column widthAuto-size column width

Word wrapWord wrap

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your support, but as I stated above in the first reply, I have all these settings in place, always have since 2019, but if the data is huge inside the cell this doesn't work.. I have to pull the cell closed everytime I create a new report/visual using these feilds and I did offer this to Microsoft as and suggestion/idea as others have too...  to add 'column width' numerical value in the formatting options.

nancmadi_0-1636741989222.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.