Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ivan_larson_cki
Helper III
Helper III

Selection Table - Possible?

I have a report with a table showing a breakdown of spending by planned spending items, showing details about each spending item. Is there a way to make that table function as a slicer as well? Ideally, each item in the table would default to being "checked" and users could uncheck items they wanted to de-select. Unchecking them would keep them in the table, but would remove them from being included in the spend figures in other visuals on the same page.

The closest I can think of to this is to have a slicer next to the table with matching names for the spending items, where users use that slicer based on what they see in the table. But this is less ideal when users need to scroll through the table (expect 30-50 items in the table at any given time).

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ivan_larson_cki 

Slicer is still the most suitable solution for you, I would recommend you to use the "Attribute Slicer" if you have a long list of options: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380794?src=office

This visual has a search feature that if you write A, it show all options start with A.

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @MFelix  and @V-pazhen-msft . Both responses are helpful, though they don't quite get at what I'm trying to do. I think the crux of the matter comes down to the need for "negative" selection - that is, I mainly want users to choose items to exclude and assume everything not selected is included.

To do so, I'm guessing I'll need to write a complicated measure comparing the current list of available records to a copy of itself under a slicer listing those same records. So I'm putting a pin in that for now until I have more time to work on it.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @ivan_larson_cki ,

With the Interactions between visualizations you can use visuals to filter other visuals (except the slicers) the only question that you have between the selection on slicers and other visualizations is that you need to use CTRL + Click to select multiple items.

So if you want to use the table visualization that is possible however you will ned to "teach" the users also be aware that when you click another visualizaiton you will loose the selections on the table.

Believe the best option can be the slicer but that depend on the way you want to have the users to work with your report.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.