Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

keithkeirstead
Frequent Visitor

SWITCH with wildcards within the value

Hi,

I have a list of values, in this case internal IP addresses, that I am trying to relate to a physicall location. The list of IPs I have are all exact IP addresses and I am trying to get the general location.

IP Addresses:

What I was attempting was to use the SWITCH to change 192.13.* addresses to NYC, while 168.192.* to Boston, ect. for ~500 subnets. However I couldn't see to get any wildcards to work within the IP address, is there anyway to do that? This is what I had:

Location = SWITCH(releaseip[Column1], "192.13.", "NYC", "168.192", "Boston")
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @keithkeirstead 

1. In DAX you can do it like this:

17-10-_2020_00-15-10.png

Column = 
SWITCH(
    LEFT('Table'[IP Addresses:],SEARCH(".",'Table'[IP Addresses:],SEARCH(".",'Table'[IP Addresses:])+1)),
    "192.13.", "NYC", 
    "168.192.", "Boston"
)

2. With Power Query you get the following solution:

17-10-_2020_00-22-48.png

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrQ00jM01jMx1TMyVYrVQQgY6RlYIAsYWuoZmUEEzCz0QIImesamKAJGJkCFSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"IP Addresses:" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if Text.BeforeDelimiter([#"IP Addresses:"], ".", 1) = "192.13" then "NYC" else "Boston", type text)
in
    #"Added Custom"

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
datafan
Helper I
Helper I

Nicely done!!

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello, @keithkeirstead, you may want to test this type of measurement or expand the location options with more subnet masks in line with your actual dataset,

Location = 
SWITCH (
    FALSE (),
    ISERROR ( SEARCH ( "192.13.", MAX ( ReleaseIP[IP Address] ) ) ), "NYC",
    ISERROR ( SEARCH ( "168.192.", MAX ( ReleaseIP[IP Address] ) ) ), "BOSTON",
    "Other City"
)

Screenshot 2020-10-17 024906.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

FrankAT
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @keithkeirstead 

1. In DAX you can do it like this:

17-10-_2020_00-15-10.png

Column = 
SWITCH(
    LEFT('Table'[IP Addresses:],SEARCH(".",'Table'[IP Addresses:],SEARCH(".",'Table'[IP Addresses:])+1)),
    "192.13.", "NYC", 
    "168.192.", "Boston"
)

2. With Power Query you get the following solution:

17-10-_2020_00-22-48.png

// Table
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrQ00jM01jMx1TMyVYrVQQgY6RlYIAsYWuoZmUEEzCz0QIImesamKAJGJkCFSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"IP Addresses:" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if Text.BeforeDelimiter([#"IP Addresses:"], ".", 1) = "192.13" then "NYC" else "Boston", type text)
in
    #"Added Custom"

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.