Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing data with the same values in a specific column between 2 different queries

I have data from 2 queries in Power Query. We'll call them A and B. Both queries return a number of columns, including a date column. I need to represent both A and B as a stacked bar chart showing how many rows each has per month. The problem is B contains data included in A. I can't use the "remove duplicates" in Power Query because that only concerns itself with rows/columns with the same data across the entire row and only in the same query.  Only 1 column in A is duplicated in B (we'll call that column "name"). There are names present in B that should only be present in A.

So far, I have tried using DAX to count all the rows of B:

• TotalB = COUNTROWS('B')

and count all rows of A:

• TotalA = COUNTROWS('A')

then subtract to eliminate duplicates:

• TrueTotalB = TotalB - TotalA

This works but when I put TrueTotalB in a stacked column chart against the date column as its y axis, I get negative values for most of the date. The reason is TotalB subtracts TotalA from every date, instead of only relative date e.g. a duplicate name in B with date January should only be subtracted from January, not every month.

Maybe there is a different solution besides using DAX? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I'm thinking I can merge both A and B together and then use a calculated column to find duplicate names, then just delete them manually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous,

I would use an anti join in Power Query. Exclude the duplicate rows in TableB, and then append the remaining rows to TableA.

1. Create a left anti join:

DataInsights_0-1666720309388.png

2. Remove column "TableA" and name this table TableBAntiJoin:

DataInsights_1-1666720383386.png

3. Append TableA to TableBAntiJoin:

DataInsights_2-1666720429138.png

4. Result:

DataInsights_3-1666720479149.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous,

I would use an anti join in Power Query. Exclude the duplicate rows in TableB, and then append the remaining rows to TableA.

1. Create a left anti join:

DataInsights_0-1666720309388.png

2. Remove column "TableA" and name this table TableBAntiJoin:

DataInsights_1-1666720383386.png

3. Append TableA to TableBAntiJoin:

DataInsights_2-1666720429138.png

4. Result:

DataInsights_3-1666720479149.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help. Though I am confused. I have followed your solution but I got the error "A cyclic reference was encountered" when appending.

Also, I don't think I understand your solution. You have name1 - 4 in the final table but isn't this effectively combining the tables into one table, leaving no duplicates. Using your example, the final result should be Table B: name4 (removed name1) and TableA: name1, name2, name3. Am I understanding correctly?

@Anonymous,

The cyclic reference can be avoided by using "Merge Queries as New". This creates a new query.

If the requirement is to have two tables, each with unique names, then you can skip the append step. TableA would have Name1-3 and TableBAntiJoin would have Name4.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.