Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

waltiritin
Regular Visitor

Remove future months from a bar chart Year on Year Comparison

Hi Everyone,

I have spent some time trying to find a solution to my issue in different forums, but with no luck. Hopefully, it will not be a duplicated issue or someone can help me out.

I have the following bar chart, which calculates the difference between 2023 and 2022 with the number of pieces. 

waltiritin_0-1673451762813.png

waltiritin_3-1673453735332.png

The chart and the metrics on the chart work perfectly fine, as you can see we have the comparisson for January (-38.8% less pieces than in January 2022). The PROBLEM is that I have been trying to hide or remove the values of the future months (on this case, today is 11th of January, so all the values from February onwards), but with no luck. 

What I tried is to use the following: IF ( MONTH('Table'[Date]) <= MONTH(TODAY()), [6. YoY 22vs23], 0), but for the first statement (<logical_test>), I can not use a column, only a measure and I can not convert my actual month_name date into a measure. 

This is my sample data:

waltiritin_2-1673453631511.png

6. YoY 22vs23 = DIVIDE([1. Current Year], [2. Current Year -1], 0)-1  --> to get the YoY %

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As a solution in PBI, only applying a filter to the visualization that is different than -1, already removed the future months due to the metric was the difference between months on YoY, so if we do not have data on 2023 yet, I would always be -100% = -1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@waltiritin , Create a measure like

IF ( MONTH('Table'[Date]) <= MONTH(TODAY()), [6. YoY 22vs23], Blank())

or create a measure like

if(max(Date[Date]) < eomonth(Today(),0) ,1,0)  and use that as a visual level filter value =1

Hi @amitchandak , the problem I have is that in this specific data set I do not have the proper date, only month name or month number, and when I try to use these both in the creation of the measures it does not recognize them. 

I already found a solution in SQL creating a case statement with "0" and "1" when the month_date is higher than the current date and using it as a filter, but I would like to know if there is a way to solve it in PBI. 

As a solution in PBI, only applying a filter to the visualization that is different than -1, already removed the future months due to the metric was the difference between months on YoY, so if we do not have data on 2023 yet, I would always be -100% = -1.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.