Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cverster
Regular Visitor

Relationship Query

Hi there

I have the following two tables, with an intermediary table that I created to get a relationship between them:

Table 1:

NameEventDateTimeInSeconds
Doe, John2017/04/17 00:00:0043200

Table 2:

ResourceIDProjectDateHours
JDoe2021/05/12 00:00:008

Table 3 (intermediary):

NameResourceID
Doe, JohnJDoe

I've got a  One-To-Many relationship between Table 2 and 3 (Matched on resource ID, one entry in Table 3, many in Table 2), and I've got a Many-To-Many relationship between Table 1 and Table 3 on Name.

I want to compare the TimeInSeconds column for a specific date to the Hours column for the same date (EventDate and ProjectDate respectively). When I just do the Name + ResourceID relationships and I try put everything in a table visual, EventDate and ProjectDate don't match up. When I create a relationship between EventDate and ProjectDate, EventDate stops reflecting as a date (though it's data type is datetime), and they still don't match.

How can I get this data to a place where I can use both TimeInSeconds (Table 1) and Hours (Table 2) in the same Dax formula?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cverster ,

I created a sample pbix file (see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want.

1. Create a date dimension table

2. Create relationships among date table(Date field), Table 1(Event Date field) and Table 2(Project Date field)

yingyinr_0-1626675400696.png

3. Create a measure to get the time of Events in hours, it will be convenient for comparison with project hours

EventHours = DIVIDE ( SUM ( 'Table 1'[TimeInSeconds] ), 3600, 0 )

yingyinr_1-1626675551730.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cverster ,

I created a sample pbix file (see attachment) for you, please check whether that is what you want.

1. Create a date dimension table

2. Create relationships among date table(Date field), Table 1(Event Date field) and Table 2(Project Date field)

yingyinr_0-1626675400696.png

3. Create a measure to get the time of Events in hours, it will be convenient for comparison with project hours

EventHours = DIVIDE ( SUM ( 'Table 1'[TimeInSeconds] ), 3600, 0 )

yingyinr_1-1626675551730.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for this, the intermediate date table is what I needed!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.