Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TaliaK

Refresh fails in desktop but not service

Hi,

I have a report that has been refreshing in both the online service and in deskop for months without issue, but then one day I couldn't refresh it in desktop. This is the error that I got:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'There's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available'.

I have tried again several times without luck. I also cleared the cache (in Desktop > Options > Data Load) and updated to the latest version of Power BI Desktop, but still getting the error. 

Any ideas what I could be missing?

Thanks!!

2 REPLIES 2
jupsimar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi ,

There can be several issue but it mainly due to no enough memory available on your computer to complete the operation

enough memory available on your computer to complete the operation
You can increase the size of the virtual memory on your computer, which can help free up more physical memory. To do this, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Performance > Settings > Advanced tab > Virtual memory > Change. Here, you can adjust the size of the virtual memory.

or

If your report is large and complex, try optimizing your data model by removing unnecessary columns, reducing the number of visuals, or simplifying complex calculations.

Thanks

NatK
Frequent Visitor

Hi @jupsimar, thank you for your response. We did increase the memory as you suggested but unfortunately the memory error still persists.

Our report refreshed without issue in PBI Desktop just a couple weeks ago, and the only change was 2 fields were removed from one of the SQL server views that we are connected to. I cannot see why that would've caused an issue. We are now reverted back to the previous working version of the SQL Server view but still getting the memory error in PBI Desktop (not PBI Service). Usually it's the other way around. Would love to know if anyone has experienced a similar problem.  

Until then I will work on further simplifying the data model, visuals, calculations, etc. 

Thanks again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.