Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Referenced Query is not updating

HI,

I have a refrenced query that takes a query to a SharePoint list as a starting point. I have disable this reference query for data refresh. However if I now refresh my report, the initial query takes the new information, but my referenced query does not take this new information into account at all. What could be causing this?

let
Source = #"Members Raw Data",  (this is what I'm using to reference

Kind regards,

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
mohanjr

I sent this same response in this thread regarding this behavior: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-parameter-not-updating/td-p/181609

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm seeing the same issue.  After doing some testing, it appears that the Parameter's Query List is directly referencing the data available in the Query Editor's previewer, instead of refrencing the data on the front-end reporting side.  This picture below shows an example where I'm giving the user a list of dates to pick from, but the drop-down list they can see is dependent on the list options currently active in the Query Editor, instead of the list on the report.

I think what everyone is expecting is that doing a normal refresh of the data would also update parameter query options. It doesn't feel natural to need to also go to the back-end and refresh the Query Editor's preview to update to your parameter options.

I'm assuming this was a design decision by Power BI dev team since typically you wouldn't expose the query list on the front-end, but they'd still want the Parameter options to be available even if the data wasn't included in the report refresh.  I'd advocate for the behavior of forcing the query list to be in the reporting layer and included in report refresh since the user still has the option to hidethe data from the Report View.

PowerBI_Parameter_1.PNG

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Edit: If I include this referenced query in the refresh it does work, but the whole point of referencing the query was to not load it in the refresh since it's slowing things way down.

Hi @Matthias93,

After research, you disable the referenced query by the button(highlighted in red line)? 

1.PNG
If you unclick it, it will not include the query when you clicking REFRESH in the Power BI main desktop window.

>>but the whole point of referencing the query was to not load it in the refresh since it's slowing things way down.

I am still confusing it. Could you explain it clearly? Here is a similar thread which may be helpful for you.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

I indeed disbled the refresh of the referenced query. My idea was to take in raw data from the SharePoint list in query A, then reference to query A in query B where I actually do all of the operations on my data. Since I'm expanding values in my query B, this tends to slow refresh time down by a lot (times 7). For that reason I figured I could disbale the refresh of query B since it takes query A as a starting point. I'm updating query A so query B should automatically follow. (in my reasoning).

Regards,

Matt

2017-04-12_9-27-43.png

Hi @Matthias93,

If unclick it, it will not include the query when you clicking REFRESH. It would not refresh because it takes query A as a starting point.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.