Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Real-time map of user location in Power BI

Hi.

So I have a table that lists the user id and their location. Records are appended everytime a user is added. Is it possible to have a map, a visual or third-party, that updates in near real-time every time a user is added to the table? I don't believe Power BI supports that, but is there a way to embed a third-party app into PBI and have it update on its own? It shouldn't be affected by other visuals; it will be a separate page with a map, focused on a particular country, that shows a user was added to a city in the country. 

I get data into Power BI from CosmosDB so maybe something that directly connects to Cosmos?

Any help would be great.

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

One solution I found is when publishing the visuals I want to be updated real-time, I can pin the visual from the Power BI report onto a dashboard then it updates real-time. The live tiles do not support maps, only cards, bar and line charts, and guage charts, but it does work when pinning it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

One solution I found is when publishing the visuals I want to be updated real-time, I can pin the visual from the Power BI report onto a dashboard then it updates real-time. The live tiles do not support maps, only cards, bar and line charts, and guage charts, but it does work when pinning it.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous If you are using DirectQuery you can use Change detection: Automatic page refresh in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler, unfortunately, CosmosDB does not support DirectQuery, only Import mode. 

I tried creating a streaming dataset, and using a custom function, I connect to the endpoint of the dataset and every time a user is added, a POST request with the payload is made to that endpoint. It worked but it looks like it's restricted to a few visuals (cards, bar charts, guage). I tried a map and it wasn't updating real-time. Not sure if I'm missng something. 

@Anonymous Hmm, yeah, streaming datasets are very limited in the visuals supported. And no DirectQuery. Hmm...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler I found a few ways to work around CosmosDB having no DirectQuery; I could either use Synapse Link with where I then connect Power BI to a Synape instance that queries CosmosDB in real-time or use an HDInsight Spark instance to run Spark against CosmosDB in real-time and link to Power BI. But both of these require dedicated SQL (or SQL Serverless) and Spark pools which are fairly expensive and I would rather not go there.

It looks like my options are very limited here unfortunately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.