Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adriansuteu
Advocate I
Advocate I

Random table gets SHAREPOINT REQUEST FAILED error when refreshing data

Hi.

I have created a quite complex Power BI report that uses only 1 type of data sources: Excel files stored in OneDrive for Business. Everything worked fine, but a few days ago I start to get this error: "Sharepoint request failed: https://path/filename.xlsx/api/contextinfo".

This error does not appear for 1 table or for the same tables every time. It just appears for one of the around 20 tables (excel Sheets) from within around 10 Excel files.

I also have the lattest version of Power BI and other users got the same error on this PBI file. These users have the rights to edit the Excel files in OneDrive and until now things worked fine for them too. Now, that error is all over the place.

In very few situations the refresh works as it is supposed to (without this error). And this seems very strange.

I have also noticed that in Power BI service (where the report was published), both the scheduled refresh and the manual refresh work fine.

Please help me.

Much appreciate it,

Adrian

5 REPLIES 5
009co
Helper IV
Helper IV

This has been happening from time to time with one of my dataflows which are using

SharePoint.Files(SharePointPath, [ApiVersion = 15]) to retrieve csv files.

I have about 4 other dataflows getting data from same SharePoint folder which are all scheduled at the same time.

However, it is always this one particular dataflow that fails. The others haven't yet.

My error is something like:
Error: DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: https://mysite.sharepoint.com/personal/my_name/Documents/my_csv/_api/contextinfo Request ID: xxx Activity ID: xxx

After error happens, I can immediately manually refresh this dataflow successfully.

The only thing unique about this  particular dataflow compared to about 5 other dataflows is that it includes a merged query on same datasource (does group by to get daily counts and merges them to calculate percentages). 

As OP mentioned, it doesn't fail at any particular csv but seems random.

I am wondering if there are some limits being hit behind scenes? Perhaps limit on # hits to SharePoint folder by either SharePoint or by Power BI dataflow? Or limit on # csv files per x unit of time, or per connection instance?

Is there anywhere I could get more details about the error other than the scheduled refresh log?
shabo
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have the same issue, cleared the permissions and retried but it didn´t work any other thoughts around how to solve this?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@adriansuteu,

Clear permissions in data source settings and also check the Awareness.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I am facing the same problem refreshing the data in powerbi service with a group of reports whose datasources point to files/foldes in sharepoint. Do you mean I should clear the permissions in powerbi desktop before publishing to powerbi service???

2020-01-13 08_58_38-Power BI.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! This was a life saver.  Wasted an entire day trying to fix the same.... then went in and cleared / reset permieeions on each connection and viola!  Thank you, thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.