Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

RLS Error in Shared Dataset

Good morning, let's see if anyone can clear my doubts.

I have a dataset that 3 different reports feed from.

Two of them I can publish on the (public) web without major problem, however the third one does not even offer me this possibility and only allows me to use the options of "insert report on website or portal".

Consulting in different places they tell me that it is because I have defined RLS security, however at no time have I defined it and I have been working with these reports for more than 3 years. I'm guessing it was triggered in some PowerBI version change.

Is there a way to disable RLS? and Why does it affect only one of the reports and not the rest?

Thank you in advance and best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

There are a few possible reasons why RLS might affect only one of your reports and not the rest:

• You might have accidentally created a role with a filter expression in the Manage roles dialog box in Power BI Desktop. To check this, you can open your report file (.pbix) and go to the Modeling tab and click Manage roles. If you see any roles defined there, you can select them and delete them if you don’t need them.
  • You might have enabled dynamic security by using the username () or userprincipalname () DAX functions in your data model. These functions return the current user’s identity and can be used to filter data based on user attributes. To check this, you can open your report file (.pbix) and go to the Data view and look for any columns or measures that use these functions. If you find any, you can remove them or modify them as needed.
  • You might have published your report to a workspace where RLS is configured in the Power BI service. This can override the RLS settings in your Power BI Desktop file. To check this, you can go to the Power BI service and open your workspace. Then, go to the Datasets tab and find your dataset. Click the More options (…) button and select Security. If you see any roles or users assigned there, you can remove them or modify them as needed.
  • To disable RLS completely, you need to make sure that there are no roles or filters defined in your Power BI Desktop file or in the Power BI service for your dataset. You can follow the steps above to check and remove any RLS settings that might exist.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Remove Row Level Security in Power BI - Zebra BI

Solved: Use DAX to ignore RLS for specific aggregate measu... - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm going to try the different options offered one by one and as soon as I have results I'll comment on them.

Best regards.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin ,

There are a few possible reasons why RLS might affect only one of your reports and not the rest:

• You might have accidentally created a role with a filter expression in the Manage roles dialog box in Power BI Desktop. To check this, you can open your report file (.pbix) and go to the Modeling tab and click Manage roles. If you see any roles defined there, you can select them and delete them if you don’t need them.
  • You might have enabled dynamic security by using the username () or userprincipalname () DAX functions in your data model. These functions return the current user’s identity and can be used to filter data based on user attributes. To check this, you can open your report file (.pbix) and go to the Data view and look for any columns or measures that use these functions. If you find any, you can remove them or modify them as needed.
  • You might have published your report to a workspace where RLS is configured in the Power BI service. This can override the RLS settings in your Power BI Desktop file. To check this, you can go to the Power BI service and open your workspace. Then, go to the Datasets tab and find your dataset. Click the More options (…) button and select Security. If you see any roles or users assigned there, you can remove them or modify them as needed.
  • To disable RLS completely, you need to make sure that there are no roles or filters defined in your Power BI Desktop file or in the Power BI service for your dataset. You can follow the steps above to check and remove any RLS settings that might exist.

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Remove Row Level Security in Power BI - Zebra BI

Solved: Use DAX to ignore RLS for specific aggregate measu... - Microsoft Fabric Community

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Rongtie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.