Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Gozde
Helper I
Helper I

R script - timeout error

Hello,

I have a R script in Power BI Desktop.

I got a timeout error after 5 min. "power bi script execution is stopped because it was running for more than 5 minutes."  I saw in Power BI website, the timeout occurs after 30 min (Any R script that runs longer than 30 minutes – times out).

This is my first line in the R script editor, but it seems it is not working:

timeout=#duration(0,0,300,0)

Do you how can solve this issue? How can I make 5 min to 30 min?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Microsoft Employee
Microsoft Employee

Hi @Gozde,

Did you set any TimeOut option in R script itself like this

Based on my research, it is not available to customize timeout setting for R script execution in desktop right now. Below code works in M query in Query Editor for other data sources.

Here are feature requests:

Urgently need Fix for "R script timeout"

Customize R Visual Timeout

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the help, Yuliana.

I did not use type of code as you mention.

I look at the requests, but one is complaining of 1 min run time and the other one is 30 min. Actually my problem is 5min, which is little bit weird. 

Any more suggection is welcome.

Regards,

Gozde

Hi @Gozde,

Did you load a large amount of data via R script? Please load less data to see whether issue persists.

Besides, a new desktop version has been released, please update for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, I update my desktop version to latest one (June version) and I put very limited data, but no luck.

Regards,

Gozde

Hello,

I have a R script in Power BI Desktop.

I got a timeout error after 5 min. "power bi script execution is stopped because it was running for more than 5 minutes."  I saw in Power BI website, the timeout occurs after 30 min (Any R script that runs longer than 30 minutes – times out).

This is my first line in the R script editor, but it seems it is not working:

Do you how can solve this issue? How can I make 5 min to 30 min?

Thanks!

JimT99
Frequent Visitor

Pathetic that there is no resolution to this. I have the same issue, suddenly pop up. Power BI is supposedly the leader in Data Analytics but can't run basic R-Script?  This needs to be fixed ASAP or I'll be left with switching to an alternate system.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.