Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BillWalker
Regular Visitor

Question on a Measure that's Failing

Greetings community!

I'm struggling with a Measure I am using in a report that looks at a table of sales opportunities. The idea is to only sum up the total of  'Billing Amount' if an opportunity name is unique. We have lots of opportunities duplicated in this table as multiple partners can be associated with any given opportunity. So the idea is to look for only the unique entries in the 'Opportunity Name' column and then sum up the 'Billing Amount' column for those resulting rows.

To make it more confounding, this worked with my data set yesterday and last week perfectly. Today, I refreshed the underlying data set and now I'm getting the "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected" message.

The data set looks like this:

FY23 Opps

Account NamePartner NameOpportunity NameBilling Amount
ACME CorpPartner 1Opp 11000
ACME CorpPartner 2Opp 11000
Badda BingPartner 3Opp 2500
ContosoPartner 4Opp 3750
Tailspin ToysPartner 3Opp 4850

The DAX expression I have supplied (and that worked yesterday and last week) is:

Measure for Unique Billing Amount Sum = SUMX(DISTINCT('FY23 Opps'[Opportunity Name]),CALCULATE(DISTINCT('FY23 Opps'[Billing Amount])))

If I revert my data set back to last week's data, no issues with this measure. I have visually compared last week's data with today's data and I don't see any differences aside from a a few more new opportunities in the data set. Any thoughts on if my measure above is the best/right way to tackle this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @BillWalker 

Try to change all to allselected, so the result will change with the context.

measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        ALLselected ( 'Table' ),
        [Opportunity Name],
        "a", MAX ( 'Table'[Billing Amount] )
    ),
    [a]
)

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Janey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BillWalker
Regular Visitor

Thank you Janey! This did resolve the initial issue, I greatly appreciate your help!

In this report, I am using "Sync Sliders" to have a first page that is all filters and subsequent pages are the actual reports. It now looks like these new measures are not respecting the filters from the first page of the report (the filters page). 

Can you elaborate on the measure you wrote above? SUMMARIZE creates a new table right? I assume that's impacting the new measure's ability to respect the global 'sync sliders'.

Hi, @BillWalker 

Try to change all to allselected, so the result will change with the context.

measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        ALLselected ( 'Table' ),
        [Opportunity Name],
    ),
    [a]
)

Did I answer your question? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @BillWalker 

"A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected" message." This error message should be from dax code. But you only provided one measure, and there was no error according to the sample you provided,

vjaneygmsft_0-1649042640739.png

If it's wrong, it must be in conflict with your context. To avoid this problem, you can use summarize() to create a context yourself.

Like this:

measure =
SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        ALL ( 'Table' ),
        [Opportunity Name],
    ),
    [a]
)

vjaneygmsft_1-1649042726007.png

Best Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.