Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alvin199
Helper III
Helper III

Question on Extract Group Values

Hi all, 

I have a sample dataset that has 3 columns, ID, Food-A and Food-B. I would like to create a new column called Last Meal (Yellow color). I would like to exact the group of value by Sample column. For each Sample group, I want to determine the Last Meal column value from Food-A and Food-B.

The rule is if all values in Food-A is NA within the same sample, then display the Food-B set value in Last Meal column for the same sample, otherwise display Food-A column value within the same sample.
For example in sample A1, Food-A has 3 values are beef, lamb and NA (not all values are NA) so we will display Food-A as the Last meal within A1 sample. This is the same for sample A4. 
For sample A5, all the values in Food-A are NA so we will display Food-B values as the Last meal. 

Below is the data and expected value in Last meal (Yellow color):

alvin199_0-1705499088969.png

I have tried using Conditional Column in Power Query Editor is not possible to filter within each sample. Using If-else statement is unable to filter by Sample too. 

Thanks for helping. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@alvin199 

pls try this

Column = if(maxx(FILTER('Table','Table'[Sample]=EARLIER('Table'[Sample])&&'Table'[A]<>"NA"),'Table'[A])="",'Table'[B],'Table'[A])

11.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
yogi678_1
Regular Visitor

@ryan_mayu Another I want to clarify with you. 
The output of the Filter (to create the virtual table, I mean this FILTER(Sheet1, Sheet1[Sample]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Sample] && Sheet1[Food-A]=""), let's take A1 as example. Originally, it has 3 records, when applied the fillter function on whether Food-A column is NA, is the A1 record remain as 3 (beef, lamb and NA) or 2 (beef and lamb).

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@alvin199 

pls try this

Column = if(maxx(FILTER('Table','Table'[Sample]=EARLIER('Table'[Sample])&&'Table'[A]<>"NA"),'Table'[A])="",'Table'[B],'Table'[A])

11.PNG

pls see the attachment below

@ryan_mayu I am trying to digest your solution.
Can you explain a bit why we need to use Maxx to know whether column A of the Table is empty ('table'[A]="") ?

Is the code below means using the Filter context, I am checking is each row is the same value as previous row (using EARLIER) and if the current row is the same as previous row in the Sample column then check whether column A is not NA?

Table'[Sample]=EARLIER('Table'[Sample])&&'Table'[A]<>"NA"

max to check if there is not NA value in the same sample,. If we can find any other value except NA, that will return reuslt, if we can't find, that will return blank. 

this is following your below logic:

The rule is if all values in Food-A is NA within the same sample

@ryan_mayu Just to confirm my understanding is correct.

The Filter function will create a virtual table for each identical Sample. Then the Maxx function will give the maximum row count for each identical Sample of the virtual table and the maximum row count of the Sample actual table that the column A is not NA. If both the max count of the tables are the same (not having NA), then the Column A is empty. 

My questions is which code specify the compare of the max count of the virtual table and the table with column that is not NA? I am a bit of confuse, appreciate if you explain the breakdown the code. 

do not think too much about max, if you change to min, the DAX will be still working. you can separate the DAX to see the output of each part. 

check the output of 

maxx(FILTER('Table','Table'[Sample]=EARLIER('Table'[Sample])&&'Table'[A]<>"NA")

@ryan_mayu I tried to change the virtual table to NA and it will use to evaluate the the Food-A column is empty (using the Test5 column). However, why A3 is giving NA despite A3 row will appear in the virtual table and it also become True when being used to evaluate Food-A column is empty, thus it shoud display Food-B column value, choco.

yogi678_1_0-1705571072894.png

my dax is <>"NA"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.